Cam bearing Questions

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
Ok guys. I just got done pulling a buddie's motor apart that was a *complete* mess. Cam was wiped, HG on DS was blown on 3 and 5 and 1 was about to go. Cam is wiped down really bad in some places, like I mean almost wiped the lobe off the cam.

Anyways, I was looking at his cam bearings. I noticed the front cam bearing felt like it had a little roughness to it. I thought that was odd so I checked the rest of the bearings in the engine and they all felt nice and smooth.

My question is, does the front cam bearing need replaced? It's not showing copper or anything. I've really never dealt with cam bearings before so I don't know. If it does neeed replaced, how do I pull the old one out and install the new one? Also, how do I know what size to get?

If you need any more info please let me know. I'm going to be posting pics of all his damage soon. Oh and BTW, this was a Jaspers engine. So don't EVER EVER EVER EVER buy one. From what I can tell, the pushrods in this motor look to be .020" too long.

cam bearings come as a set and there are no undersizes

machine shops typically put the cam bearings in since you would need a cam bearing installing tool

If it feels rough and/or it looks worn, then replace all the came bearings while you are there since it will never get any better. As a matter of fact, that #1 cam bearing is one of the major killers of Buick oil pressure IMHO.
I just went through this with the engine in one of my cars which had less than 2K miles on it. Almost all of the commonly available cam bearings for a Buick V6 are a no no since they are way too soft. This situation can become even more pronounced with large cams (i.e. higher valve spring pressures) and/or high pressure oil pumps.......all of which load the #1 cam bearing excessively.
Main problem as far as I can tell is the grooved journal on the cam at the #1 bearing position. This groove reduces the surface area of the cam where it contacts the bearing. That groove actually starts cutting the cam bearing in half.
Spend the money and get cam bearings from TA Performance since they are harder than all the others commonly available. I just got 2 sets and let me say this.......
you can visibly see the differences between these and the ones Clevite and Federal Mogul offer.

Jer -

With that much of the cam being lost - coupled with the head gasket disaster, you have to pull the oil pan off and clean out the schrapnel. That inlcudes cleaning the oil pickup tube screen.

Again, with that much evident damage, I'd check the crank endplay. Time to invest in that dial indicator I've been telling you about. :( Also, pull the #3 main cap off to check a bearing. Hopefully none of the cam schrapnel made it onto a crank bearing.

BTW, which (and/or how many) lobes are wiped? Is it a more-common "just #3 exhaust" or are multiple lobes gone?

Well we have already pulled the oil pan. It has a nice sludge of metal-oil. Yummy!

We're going to yank the motor tomorrow and check the mains.

Scott, it wiped 7 of the 12 lobes and at least 3 of them are almost completely gone.

Taylor called Jaspers today and they said since it was out of warranty that he would have to pay. Even though I can see with an unaided eye that the pushrods are too long.

Warning to everyone, stay away from Jaspers.

They told him they would fix it for ~$800 and I'm not sure if that included labor or not.

I'll keep everyone informed.