Calling all Engineers

2000xjclassic

Hey guys I need a few Mechanical Engineers (or any type of engineer for that matter) who would be willing to answer a few questions. The questions will mainly be about you work environment, how you got your job, and what you do day to day. This is all for a career orientation class.

If anybody is available, could you post in this thread or PM me.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Do Network Engineers count? I support several mechanical engineering programs, that's about it from my end. Most of them just jumped in and took a few classes for CAD design stuff. They make more than us enterprise admins though.

flight test instrumentation engineer for Northrop Grumman, let me know if i can help

Design Engineer for a Tier 1 Automotive supplier. Here's my #1 piece of advice- avoid the auto industry like the plague. PM me if you wanna know more.

Which one? Some areas are growing for T1 suppliers.

With the entire industry down 36% or so, most suppliers are feeling the pinch moreso than what is normally applied by GM/Ford/Chrysler. GM is the worst especially at undercutting its suppliers and demanding cost reductions-even when raw materials skyrocket. They buy the cheapest solution possible- even if its far from the best.:confused:

I am personallly in the sound deadening and structural reinforcement sector. I design injection molded inserts that consist of a nylon carrier and an expandable thermoplastic that is heat activated in the paint ovens.

With the entire industry down 36% or so, most suppliers are feeling the pinch moreso than what is normally applied by GM/Ford/Chrysler. GM is the worst especially at undercutting its suppliers and demanding cost reductions-even when raw materials skyrocket. They buy the cheapest solution possible- even if its far from the best.:confused:

I am personallly in the sound deadening and structural reinforcement sector. I design injection molded inserts that consist of a nylon carrier and an expandable thermoplastic that is heat activated in the paint ovens.

As an example, I know of many suppliers that have engineers working round the clock to get electric power steering viable for most models. Those products are hitting the streets so it means more design time$$

I am sure one can always find a slight glimmer of hope in the steaming pile of poo that is Autopia. For the most part, standard automotive technology is buried under financial feces- especially for suppliers that have focused on large trucks and SUV's as their core competency.

Personally, I worked for a short time on the East Coast as a Boeing supplier, among other aerospace customers, and that was far less dependent on market trends and economic downturns. Also, the customer understood that the suppliers need to make a profit in order to supply quality parts. Go figure...

I'm a civil P.Eng (P.E. In the U.S), started as engineering technologist(CET), main area is ICI construction.

PM me or post in the thread with questions.

i am mechanical eng. tech. for Labrie group i using pro eng. softwear
for design

you work environment

in front of a computer 80 % of a day next parts is
production following up

what you do day to day

find mecahnical solution from custom order
working for cutting production cost
ex. looking for installing a new cart attachment,
heating floor for standup driver side

visiting our site Labrie Environmental Group

hope it help go a head for more specific question

claude

Controls Engineer - PLC's, drives, sensors, automating antique equipment, etc.. Never a dull moment, and always into something!

PM if I can help.