Calling all computer gurus!! (HELP!!)

SinistrV6

Valve Monkey
I need some help! I just installed a Nvidia Geforce4 MX-440 64MB video card in my PC and now none of my games will play. More correctly, they're playing (I can hear the sound but the screen is black!) Any help would be appreciated:
System specs:
AMD Athlon 550mhz
128 MB RAM
aforementioned video card (upgraded from VooDoo 3000)
Aureal Vortex sound card

What OS? Did you remove the old device from the hardware list and install the proper driver for the new card.

oops

Should've said.. Windows 98. I think I found the prob. The refresh rate probably doesn't match that of the monitor. How can I find out the refresh rate of the monitor? It's got Cybermax's logo on it but they probably didn't make it. They're out of business now.

Should be in the monitor setup.. Actually the stuff should be plug and pray.. You have the latest driver for hte card?

yeah, I went and got the latest drivers. I've got to do a little more research on the monitor.... It lists it as CyberMax brand

I'd try setting the game to it's lowest resolution at 72hz, and then cranking it up a bit at a time. I've seen some monitors that crap out at over 800x600 @70hz, and I've seen others that will take 1200x1600@100hz without breaking a sweat, so you really just need to find what your screen can handle.

Depending on the game, there is probably a way to set the configuration down to it's lowest settings without the game running. That having been said, the easiest way to put your screen through the paces and see what it can handle, resolution and refresh rate wise, is to just go into your Windows screen settings. In there, you can fairly painlessly test different resolutions and refresh rates and find out the best one for your monitor. All you need to do is just increase both parameters one at a time and find the best one it can handle by a process of elimination. Doing that probably beats restarting the game 8-10 times.

Hope that helps.

- Freed

Whenever I increase my resolutions from 800 X600 everything gets smaller on the screen. Clear but small. Refreshing the screen fills the screen with the wallpaper but icons and window that open are tiny. Is that normal? My monitor is a Cybermax (defunct) built around a Hitachi picture tube. 19" (18" viewable).
How am I gonna turn down the game detail when I can't even see them on the screen? I thought maybe the card wasn't installed securely (it wasn't seated all the way) but that didn't change the problem. Went through a complete reinstall of the card after that.

What you are seeing is normal.

If you could think of your screen as a grid, the way that you had it before split your screen into a grid that was 640x480 units in area. When you upped the resolution, it split that same area into a grid that was 800x600 units, so each of those units was necessarily smaller. With the resolution up, you can see more things at once, but they will be smaller.

What I am guessing is that your monitor's circuitry is only designed to be able to split the screen into so fine of a grid. Once you try to exceed that limitation, the monitor doesn't know how to handle it, and it goes blank. Many games anymore are set to a default resolution of 1024x768 or more, so if your monitor can't handle that, it could exhibit the behavior you describe. What game is it?

As another note, you will probably not get great performance out of that card on that system. It will be better than it was in some ways, but that video card is so powerful that the rest of the system will have a hard time keeping up with it. It's kind of like throwing a header with 3" collectors on a Honda. I'm guessing that you will get jerky performance at some of it's higher settings once you get it working because the card will be waiting on the Athlon to send it info. More RAM will help (and it's cheap anymore), but you should think about upgrading the 550 if you want to get the most out of that card. I've seen tests of those GeForce 4's that indicate that even 1.7Ghz processors have a hard time feeding it enough data.

Hope this helps.

- Freed

Got it working!

Thanks for all the help guys. I had overlooked one of the possible settings for the refresh rate. When I set it to "adapter default" everything works fine. I can increase the resolution in the games and they look GREAT! Freed, I'm sure you're right. I'm not even scratching the surface of what this card can do, but it's better than what I had and it'll play Batman: Vengeance and Spiderman (my little boy will be thrilled!)

Happy to help!

That was far more interesting than what I'm doing at work today:

I get to sit in a freezing server room and set up 47 print queues! Oh Joy!

:(

Hope the kids love the game, and I hope dad gets to play some too. :)

- Freed

On a side note, you will have better video performance if you bump up your ram from the 128Meg to 256Meg. The other poster was correct about the card being overkill, so you will processor limited not card limited. The ram should help.

I have a P4, 1.7Ghz with 256Meg ram, Geforce4TI 128Meg ram on XP and ran the 3dMark2001 (which I suggest to find and download a copy to benchmark your system). With the 256M ram I got a 3dmark of 4500 or so. With my old Geforce2Ti I had a score of 4300 with 512Meg Ram.

I bumped up to 512Meg and got a score of 6500.

Make sure that you update all of your bios for the vid card, motherboard, sound card, etc..

And don't worry too much about the monitor refresh rate. 85Hz is fine. When you start to tax the video card and your framerates drop to 50,40, 30, etc, the monitor refresh rate does not matter- it's your system.

Also, What games do you play?:D

games

The only thing I play online is Carmageddon. Occasionally MS Flight Sim WWII Europe. Other than that:

Tiger Woods Golf (old '99 edition)

Batman: Vengeance (just started)

Spiderman the Movie (just started)

Driver

Max Payne

Nascar

Got any recommendations for games? Online role playing games take time that I don't have. I have to be able to get in and get out!!

If you want in and out you got to get Counter-strike. It's probably the top of the 3D first person online games out there. It is not a death match game, but team based.

It one of the mods for the Half-life game. You WILL get addicted to it. Check it out.

Just go and buy the Half-life game and download the mod.

www.counter-strike.net