Calipers and brake line questions

obrut

Had a great day working on my WE4, I couldn't get the rear rubber line off from the hard line on the body, I ended up stripping the fitting. I couldn't use the mityvac to bleed there rear brakes. I snapped off one of the front caliper bleeders and in general just made a nice mess.

I'm looking at a new set of calipers, auto zone/oreilys have some for 13.99 - are these any good?

Also any tip on how to remove the rear rubber line? I'm trying to install the braided stainless steal line.

The calipers at the local store are fine for stock replacements and the rear line soak it down with some PB blaster or some other sort of penatrating oil do it a few times and hope! the nut will strip easy so you may have to resort to vise grips and even then it may twist the line off then you will have to replace a section of the line.
Chris

Had a great day working on my WE4, I couldn't get the rear rubber line off from the hard line on the body, I ended up stripping the fitting. I couldn't use the mityvac to bleed there rear brakes. I snapped off one of the front caliper bleeders and in general just made a nice mess.

I'm looking at a new set of calipers, auto zone/oreilys have some for 13.99 - are these any good?

Also any tip on how to remove the rear rubber line? I'm trying to install the braided stainless steal line.

That really sucks man, I've been in your shoes before, I'd recommend you get a set of line wrenches that are made for this type of thing. If it's not stripped too bad you may get lucky with the line wrenches, otherwise do what Chris said and go with Vise grips. good luck

here is a link to what you need.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc...p-00942013000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Paul

Since you're replacing the rubber hose anyway, you can try cutting it and then getting a socket over the fitting. Have done that before with success, problem is if it doesnt work, you're in a tough spot. Also, whatever you do be careful not to let the metal line twist. The fitting is most likely rusted to the line so the fitting wont spin on the line, it will just twist it off and break the hard line. When I replaced my rear rubber line, I just wound up replacing everything on the axle, hard lines and all. Was much easier that way and its good piece of mind. Can get the brake tubing cheap at any parts store and rent a flaring tool. Good luck.

thanks guys, I was using a flaring wrench on the fitting. I even went out and bought a flaring wrench crows foot to try and get the line in the rear. I'm going to pick up a new set of front calipers. For the rear line, I think I can get it with some vice grips. I just didn't want the fitting to look like crap. This is no show car by any means but using vice grips on that fitting will just be one more thing thats not right on my car.

The vise grip method sucks but needed sometimes! I would just go get a piece of 1/4" line and cut it over near the fuel filter and replace that section because i doubt its coming out without twisting the line or breaking like mine did when i removed it or call Classic tube or Inline tube and get the new rear line from the prop. valve to the rear rubber line just a little more work and you have piece of mind!
Chris