C7 vette gets a turbo option.

i guess it's a good way to kill off the Corvette brand.

I would say it will enhance it, bring it into the future,+ make it more popular then ever.
It will just be 1 of a few diff motors available,nothing wrong with choices,a factory built high revving turbo v8 vette,with a warranty,sounds awesome to me.
i don't think they will ever do away with the big iconic n/a v8,i think that will always be there,as an option in a vette,especially because they can get pretty good gas mileage out of them now ,but things can't stay static forever,what if they said no we will never put dohc 32 valve motors in a mustang because they were always just a 16 valve pushrod motor in the past,there would be no n/a 444hp factory stangs available right now i would think.
One cool thing about the old muscle cars was the availability of a few diff motors in all the models,like 69 camaro,2 hp level 350's,i think 3 levels of 396,+ then copo 427, then the Cuda,340,340sixpack,383,440,440sixpack,hemi.+ on + on, that's what made them so collectible,people wanted to collect the rarer versions + the more powerful version ,but later came stuff like the fox mustangs,they were awesome,but everybody got the same,302,+ the camaro's+ firebirds,all got the same 350,vettes too,turbo regals too,(except for a limited run of gnx's at the end)imagine how cool it would have been if they offered diff hp levels,options of a twin turbo setup or a v8 turbo setup,or hp v8 set up.
Now the brands are starting to offer,multiple levels again,look at mustang,305 hp v6,412 hp v8,444hp v8,550hp v8,+ all those motors were designed + built with direct injection + forced induction in their future.
Vette's too 430 hp base,505hp z06,638hp zr1,(+ apparantly a turbo v8 shortly)dodge too going the multi level + diff engine route again thats great,+ i don't feel a turbo option on the vette is going to be it's demise,why would it, they just did a supercharged version(Also a first for a corvette),that is extremely popular,gets rave reviews everwhere,+ pretty much every vette fan would give their first born child for.
I say bring it on,+ turn it up.:cool:

this new engine sounds like a good thing- just not for a Corvette. the Corvette already kills cars that cost 2X and 3X as much in acceleration and knocks down twice the miles per gallon when you drive it like a commuter. Vette buyers aren't gonna go for a little engine that revs to the moon but really offers no gain in power over the current V8 engines.
they also talked about going mid engine back on the 80's when they were designing the C4, then again in the 90's when they designed the C5. that's why the C5 got the trans out back- they were going to put the engine back there, too, but market research told them not to.

this new engine sounds like a good thing- just not for a Corvette. the Corvette already kills cars that cost 2X and 3X as much in acceleration and knocks down twice the miles per gallon when you drive it like a commuter. Vette buyers aren't gonna go for a little engine that revs to the moon..

Thing is it's just going to be another choice,not the only motor,( That WOULD be a mistake if that's all they offered).
I'm guessing they see alot of turbo motors in the works,from other companies,+ want to be at the forefront, + not trying to playing catch up afterwards.

As I said on another forum, that article sounds to me like its based on a lot of rumors and speculation, with no actual facts. Typical of a lot of Yahoo news articles.

i remember a Corvette show car from the late 80's that had a turbocharged Quad 4 mounted out back. it disappeared after they realized that no one thought it was a good idea and it has not been spoken of since.

Don't worry - the C7 corvette will NOT be in need of more horsepower - the engine shown if any more then a rumor will just be a nice base motor for someone who does'nt need gobs of horsepower - the car will have more then enough horsepower availiable for a Vette owner. It looks like they are trying to bring the corvette into a more modern platform to compete with the entries from other manufacturers in its class.
Im sure if you are actually someone who can and will put down the cash for this car you will be more then happy.

If it comes about drop one of these drive trains in an AWD Regal body.... I'd buy one