Buying vehicle out of state

DavidM

I am currently looking at buying a vehicle out of state.
I am in Texas and the vehicle is in Mississippi.
I can only pick up the vehicle on Saturday and Sunday when the Tax Collectors office are closed to title vehicle in my name.

If I purchase the vehicle and tow it home from Mississipi would I need to submit the title in Mississippi or can I take the signed tittle to the Tax collectors here in Texas and have it transferred in my name and to a Texas title?

Does Mississippi require a notary when signing a Title during a sale?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

I believe they do require a notary. I live in Louisiana and if we buy a car out of state, we have to get a copy of the owners driver's license to prove they live in their state. In Louisiana if you have someone with you and they watch both parties sign the bill of sale or paper work, when you get back your witness can sign an affidavit stating they saw the transaction. This is good enough for Louisiana. Call and ask your local DMV.

some states require you to perform a VIN check in the state you live in if purchasing from out of state. make sure u check that in Texas.

yes you can take the title to Texas and register it. u don't need a Notary when signing over a title in Mississippi. title is submitted where ur registering the vehicle cause thats the state u will be paying taxes and registration fees in.

I was able to confirm that Mississippi does not require a notary when transferring titles. My home state of Arizona does.

some states require you to perform a VIN check in the state you live in if purchasing from out of state. make sure u check that in Texas.

yes you can take the title to Texas and register it. u don't need a Notary when signing over a title in Mississippi. title is submitted where ur registering the vehicle cause thats the state u will be paying taxes and registration fees in.

Thank you for your response.
It does not look like I will need to do a VIN check in Texas if purchasing out of state. Makes sense to do one anyways.

For Texas it looks like I will need a
*Safety Inspection
*Signed Mississippi title
*Application for Tittle in Texas
*Registration Application
*Bill of Sale
*Proof of insurance

Luckily there is a station open on Saturday that can do this in one shot.

First time purchasing out of state.