Buying new work truck, GMC??? or FORD F-550 dually.

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I wish i could have a 2004 DODGE DIESEL, but since my employer has no clue i have the choice of either a brand new POWERJOKE or the DURASLUG-

my first chioce is the GMC because of the allison 5 speed auto and my first crack at the isuzu. we are trying to be a isuzu diesel engine dealer in the near future, since i will get learned up on them first hand, might as well get something with the same diesel motor right?
my second choice is the FORD, probably just the same thing i have but 5 years newer and quiet right?

now i currently have a 99 f-450 stroke and a 02 3500 dodge cummins, ive yet to drive or look at the newer quiet 04 GMC or 04/05 FORD and need your input-

remember this is a WORK TRUCK- rubber mat, short cab,2wd, vynal seat, just the basics to get dirty and haul GVW of about 16,000 all day everyday.
it will have a utility box over the rear axle equipped with crane, compressor, welder,hyd,oil,fuel tanks and work bench, i work on heavy machinery and my current truck is decked out with the above mentioned and lots more just not getting into detail.

first question, what is GMC's version of the FURD-550 dually?
is there a upgraded f/r spring pack for it?
is there a 3.55 gear avail? TST BOX, exhaust, and air filter should overcome the need for 4.11 gears right?

what package should i mandate that i need, need the most power and heavy duty as possible...

i need to order the truck next week, and i want to make sure i get what i want, well, since i want a dodge and have to settle with a GMC or another damn FORD :)

PW, PDL, TILT, CRUISE, AUTO, HIGH HORSEPOWER DIESEL, CAB LIGHTS,DUALLY, 2WD, HEAVY DUTY AS MOST POSSIBLE, VYNAL SEAT,ECT...

what are some of the options you forgot to get when you bought your truck?
i wished i had heated mirrors on both trucks, but nothings perfect right?

so which is it? GMC OR FORD....

i get the truck that we decide on here, i really was going to get the f-550, but now thinking about the GMC cause of us going ISUZU.

i would really appreciate input from guys with these trucks, and first hand experience....
feel free to BS, i really like taking trucks more than TRs sometimes...

Thanks for the info, cant wait till its done in march

BW

I've got a 2003 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with the Duramax/Allison. 12,000 miles and 0 problems and/or issues...nadda. Engine's just now getting broke in and it has plenty of power. Haven't pulled anything really heavy with it yet but I have 0 complaints and love the D/A package. You can check out www.thedieselpage.com and read up on'em.

thanks for the link, im gonna check it out and get some info-

any wheel options?

BW

I opted to stay away from the dually for my driving use. To get a comparable GM truck to your Ford F-450 I believe you'll have to get something along the lines of a "commercial use" truck. I'm not familiar with their options with a GM equivalant to the 450.

On a side note I heard Ford was having some minor issues with their newly designed Powerstroke. Didn't pay too much attention to the details since I didn't own one so I can't be specific about what those issues were.

yeah i know engine sucks too, i hear now that navistar isnt going to be the supplier for the next batch of trucks or something...

im really interested in this thread http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007331

sounds like the new LLY GMC motor has more power, just wished it wasnt the V.V.C. that waiting to self destruct turbo:rolleyes:

got to get back to reading

thanks for the info again, i didnt know about that site.

BW

Sierra 3500 EXT cab
diesel
4.10 are STD
6 speed Manual
MSRP $35,773
NAC $29,500

Ford F-350 superduty
5-speed Auto
Diesel
MSRP $33,095
NAC $27,500

If you want bigger like GMC 4500 or ford I can also do that.
The STD for the 4500 is 4.88 but other options include 4.30, 4.44, 4.63, 4.78, 4.88 and 5.33.
They (GMC) do have GVWR packages rated at 16,000, 16,500 and 17,500. Not sure if that is what you meant by f/r spring pack?
Any more questions? Just ask!

LAS VEGAS-:D

well here is the sad story, i live in the city and can only have a certain length and height, which are close to the max right now with my current truck-

if i could have my choice it would be a damn kenworth with the box on the back, but its just a little to long:eek:

whats the biggest dually that GMC sells thats a regular style city cab versus the dumptruck style/ full out F-650 OR bigger FORD style?

c4500 but those are sold as incomplete vehicles. They have spring options ranging from 7,000 to 15,000 pounds. Im not sure if they are dually's but with that kind of rating (weight wise) they pretty much have to be.
Ford goes up to F750.
Any more questions just ask!

GOTCHA-
so you say the 4500 is the same body style as the regular ole pickem up truck right? not something like a F-650/750 RIGHT?

just looking for cab and chassis thats the same as a regular pickup... is that the c4500?

thanks
BW
looking for the LLY motor in the chevy, where is all the ford guys?

Correct the 4500 is just a cab and chassis. I think but im not sure the 4500 is the same as the 3500 just a little different front end.