Buying another Tow vehicle

'08 Ford F350

I bought this truck this summer ('08 Ford F350) and it's the greatest truck I've owned!...I would recommend it to just about anyone who needs to tow a trailer...The new 6.4 liter engine has TONS and TONS of power :eek: , and there's no need to upgrade anything on it...(for me at least...):D
Before this truck I have owned another F-350 (a '91) and before that, a Chevrolet 30 (an '81 bought in '85)...The Chevy was my first truck and bought used. There were a few issues with it ( mostly body rust reoccuring time after time), but the Ford gave me great service for 16 years...Yes, there were some repairs over that long period of time mainly the automatic transmission, but altogether, it's been a good truck (better than the Chevy) that I was very satisfied with, and that's why I got another Ford for a replacement...

Claude :smile:

I do love that truck. Unfortunately I can not afford to spend the 50K needed on that. And as an official hotrodder, nothing I own stays stock for long.

I was out price shopping and when a tow vehicle costs half what my house did, I just can not expend that kind of cash per month.

Either I need to know what you do for a living and start doing that or go rob a bank.

I wanted to stay around 15- 20K so I can pay it off within 24 to 36 months, have an affordable lower payment and save for a trailer. I try not to be in debt too much.

Keep the info coming.

I've got a Super nice 01 Excursion, 4x4 SLT, loaded with everything but leather. Cold air, GPS, etc. Body and interior excellent.

It has the V-10 gas burner and has plenty of power to pull. Used about 5 times to haul a 28ft enclosed with a 3000lb car in it.

Has 133k trouble free miles with all documentation. I'd let it go for less than $10k if you're interested in coming to Alabama!!:D

And yes, the mileage is not great.. 14.5-15 on the hwy and 11 or so in town but I didn't buy it for the fuel economy!

The dodge cummins turbo diesel is a great truck, but the small inline fuel pump needs to be addressed. They will wipe out the injector pump if not upgraded in time.

The injection pump is 1500.00 and the injectors are 300.00

That applies to the 24V engine with the VP44 pump. The earlier 12V has the awesome P7100 pump. Get any diesel magazine and you'll see the fastest trucks are running the P7100.

That applies to the 24V engine with the VP44 pump. The earlier 12V has the awesome P7100 pump. Get any diesel magazine and you'll see the fastest trucks are running the P7100.

I didnt specify what year, but that p7100 pump was avail back to 94??

I figured everyone knew about the vp44 pump and the issues that were caused due to low volume to the electric vp44? Thats why i suggested the small pump be replaced to lengthen the life of the electric bosch pump.

BW

If you can go up to 20k, put the the duramax on the option block. The '01 had some head issues. The '02, '03 lb7's have proven to be just as reliable as any other diesel out there. Drive all 3 and then search for the reliability issues of the truck that you prefer! The cummins has certainly proven itself. The 7.3PS has been great to many people. The motor should not be the deal maker. The rest of the drivetrain, interior(function, comfort), and streering, suspension needs to be added to the equation. If the vehicle will be used for towing a big trailer, you need to look at the turning radius on all of them. I will tell you that the older ford will NOT compare to the Dodge or Chevy.
I own an '03 CC SB Chevy Duramax and couldn't be happier with it so far. I have many friends with Dodges and Fords, and they seem to enjoy them very much... drive them and see what fits your needs, and wants.

Then you're mistaken. The 7.3 has been one the best made for a very long time.

Now, the 6.0, that's different animal. You want to talk about a piece of crap!

Some good some bad, I have an 06 F350 DRW crew cab with a 6.0 and have had an intake, exhaust, Juice platinum programmer and ATS turbo on it since it had 300 miles. Drive it daily with the programmer cranked all the way up 35 PSI boost and 1300 degrees on the exhaust, and drive it like I drive my GN and to date with 38000 miles have had no problems at all, gets 17.5 MPG on road trips with 4:10.1 gears at 75+ MPH. I had an 99 7.3 that was a good engine, replaced one injector and 1 cam sensor, but thats all, not to much get up and go even with the six speed and sucked the tank dry in a jiffy, but trusty for certain....even with an intercooler, programmer, intake, exhaust, and a turbo would not come close to my 6.0, and thats an auto, granted the new ford auto has a nice gear ratio spread, not a single dead or lagy gear in it....just my .02 cents

Attachments

• Chevy014.jpg
    Chevy014.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 93
And for the options being open, you can buy a dam nice Duramax/Allison truck for 15K, thats where I would be if somebody would hurry up and steal my F350;)

'02 7.3 PSD Excursion - I regularly tow a 24' boat w/ trailer (about 8k lbs), and recently towed a 36' enclosed trailer to Utah and Oregon. Best tow vehicle I've owned.

I have both and I can tell you this I am selling the dodges and keeping the Ford I have two 7.3PSD both have over 200k on them and they run great the cab on a Ford is nicer and will hold up longer if you plan on keeping it a long time.

My DD is a 2000 CC F350 DRW 6spd 4x4 I bought it a mounth ago from a close friend it's a 1 owner truck and I have been around it for about 5yrs now I will have around $12,000 in it when I am done with it.

I have both and I can tell you this I am selling the dodges and keeping the Ford I have two 7.3PSD both have over 200k on them and they run great the cab on a Ford is nicer and will hold up longer if you plan on keeping it a long time.

My DD is a 2000 CC F350 DRW 6spd 4x4 I bought it a mounth ago from a close friend it's a 1 owner truck and I have been around it for about 5yrs now I will have around $12,000 in it when I am done with it.

Sweet! Maybe you could sell your dodge to machinegun???? :biggrin:

What year is it?

BW

On the dodge auto: If you put a good aftermarket converter in it and have it built by a local shop that has pride in workmanship then it should be fine. DON'T EVER get a trans from some reman company that does a "clutch slam" job to get it through the 20K warranty. Most dodge autos burnt up from inferior stock converters that had the paper clutch lining deteriorate and plug the cooler system. Of course you need to replace the cooler system or flush very thoroughly (hot flush machines ROCK). Other minor issues need to be addressed but the actual geartrain in a dodge is pretty stout if built right.
We have a local woodworking company that pulls HEAVY goosenecks around the country and they are using dodges. Tried them all but came back to the dodges. My extended family owns a total of 4 of their retired trucks and they have 300-500K on them.

As you can tell, every brand has it's advantages and disadvantages. Drive them all and buy whatever suits you. My personal opinion is that the cummins still edges out the competition.