Buyer caution on Pittsburgh Grand National

Actually his ad stated that the odometer reads 78K, which is accurate.

What he conveniently omits is that there SHOULD be a #1 in front of the 78K.

The odometer on the car right now today shows 72k miles.

Which jives with car fax,

Where 78k came from is anyone's guess,

Maybe he felt bad, so he raised the number up a lil bit,

Just spoke w/ the seller. He has pulled the ad. He explained the situation.
I suggested he rewrite the ad, stating the odometer situation, and go from there. He will never recoup the $$, as he's got 20K+ in it.
FWIW, he bought the car off the bag...When the odo bit came up, Ebay refused to help, saying no car over 10 yrs old is covered. {something I didn't know.}

Consider this topic done with...

Unless the dash was swapped... In which case it would still be wrong, but might be more like 112k, but as it is used, who knows.

I have seen one time where odo issues caused havoc on sales. Odo discrepancy listed. It was a 3/4 ton owned by a large company. I forget exact numbers, but along the lines of 72k, then next year 112, then year after 96k. All the previous years the mileage changed by about 12-14k per statements. The company had a lot of trucks, it seems they listed mileage wrong with the dmv during registration, or had the wrong truck in the fleet.

Either way my buddy bought it knowing about it, and price reflected the mileage issues. And no one was trying to bone anyone by passing it along unknowingly.

Just spoke w/ the seller. He has pulled the ad. He explained the situation.
I suggested he rewrite the ad, stating the odometer situation, and go from there. He will never recoup the $$, as he's got 20K+ in it.
FWIW, he bought the car off the bag...When the odo bit came up, Ebay refused to help, saying no car over 10 yrs old is covered. {something I didn't know.}

Consider this topic done with...

There really isn't an odometer issue,
The car is what it is,
Seller is in denial and pissed he got beat buy paying 20k for a car that was worth 10k, then had a fly by night garage "claim" they rebuilt the engine.

My issue is the mileage conversation never came to play until car fax was mentioned and it showed 170k plus on the car. When questioned, the long sob story came out.

Fact is, seller knew, and didn't disclose.

To me that's hiding and hoping no one finds out, and I wanted to warn any potential buyers to research the car for themselves and ask the questions to know or have a good idea of what they were looking at to buy.

This was my only reason to post this, to protect the community from what I felt was wrong doing.

But now we know, and you are correct sir.

This conversation can be put to rest.

I believe you did the right thing.

As always... Buyer beware. Unfortunately there are plenty of dishonest people out there. Especially when it comes to used vehicles & real estate.

Unless the dash was swapped... In which case it would still be wrong, but might be more like 112k, but as it is used, who knows.

During my conversation w/ the Craigslist seller, he reported that this was mentioned by the Fl seller. The Fl seller was apparently some used car flipper.

Eh. Mine has the same problem. I bought it and car fax said odometer discrepancy beware. I don't remember what it said, I think like 190K, then the owner I bought it from had the odometer reading at like 12K I think and it doesn't even roll anymore. It's been through I think three owners. I picked her up for $8K. When I bought it I told him about it and he said that's how it's been, old car I didn't care. On the section of the pink sip that asks for mileage, I told the guy it said 190K and asked how many more miles did he put in it. Added it to the last reported mileage... I think I wrote in 212K. I'll have to buy a report to see. Either way she's got a solid transmission and posi, other than the recent cam sensor issue that I'm shipping off for repair.

Dude should've been up front with his story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show me a GN with legit odometer and I'll show you a unicorn.....

I have seen 100,000 mile cars look better than 40,000 cars. You might as well be blind to buy a car based solely on odometer reading.

Not saying it's ok to falsely advertise but 99% of GN odometers have been rolled over or rolled back...

Hmmmmmmm...... Maybe I bought a unicorn, but I doubt it. For my 32k mile car, the previous owner gave me a huge folder of maintenance / repair receipts with some showing mileage and of course, dates. My old man once showed me things to look for, like wear on the brake pedal, original equipment ( OEM plug wires ,brake pads/shoes still in place, original hoses and clamps, shocks, interior wear points ) mine has / had all of these including no wear on the interior. None. Underneath, no rust -- looks like new.
My mechanic pointed these( brakes, clamps plug wires and plugs ) out to me. Needless to say, my suspicion of 32k miles I believe confirmed. Normally, I don't consider myself "lucky", but in this case maybe? Yes there are dishonest sellers out there-- but honest ones exist as well. My $.02 worth....

Hmmmmmmm...... Maybe I bought a unicorn, but I doubt it. For my 32k mile car, the previous owner gave me a huge folder of maintenance / repair receipts with some showing mileage and of course, dates. My old man once showed me things to look for, like wear on the brake pedal, original equipment ( OEM plug wires ,brake pads/shoes still in place, original hoses and clamps, shocks, interior wear points ) mine has / had all of these including no wear on the interior. None. Underneath, no rust -- looks like new.
My mechanic pointed these( brakes, clamps plug wires and plugs ) out to me. Needless to say, my suspicion of 32k miles I believe confirmed. Normally, I don't consider myself "lucky", but in this case maybe? Yes there are dishonest sellers out there-- but honest ones exist as well. My $.02 worth....

You might have gotten lucky and got the real deal. I would have to see it to confirm. That's just me. Been around these cars too long.

You might have gotten lucky and got the real deal. I would have to see it to confirm. That's just me. Been around these cars too long.
Yeah, Rick I get it. I do definitely see your point. Kind of like buying an airplane. It takes a good and thorough pre-buy inspection as there are "pigs with lipstick" in the aviation world as well . Some birds are gems *on the surface* . My plane was built in 1955 and rebuilt 40 years later. Like you ( and others ) have said, buyer beware. If one is in the market, find yourself a "Buick dude" such as yourself, and take them with you for a pre buy inspection. I just happen to be a gear head and gleaned a LOT of info from knowledgable people here on this info-laden website before I purchased.
This site rocks.

Sounds like Johnnie and I are in the same boat. My 32K mile GN that I purchased last fall also came with a folder full of documents, still wears it's original brake shoes/pads, exhaust, and all under hood rubber items. The undercarriage is pristine, including the body mounts, which look like new. Interior is mint. Just wanted to chime in that there are honest sellers out there. :)