Busted rocker shaft (pics), need suggs...

I purchased a set of aftermarket shafts (plus new rockers and retainers) from TA Performance. These look like real nice pieces. $139 for a complete assembly with new hardened steel shafts which are thicker is not too shabby considering postons wants $100 for a stock assembly. What do you guys think?? I think these would be a great midway point between stock and full roller, and the RJC caps won't be necessary....

Rockers Assy's

I purchased a set of aftermarket shafts (plus new rockers and retainers) from TA Performance. These look like real nice pieces. $139 for a complete assembly with new hardened steel shafts which are thicker is not too shabby considering postons wants $100 for a stock assembly. What do you guys think?? I think these would be a great midway point between stock and full roller, and the RJC caps won't be necessary....

Rockers Assy's

Good choice
Get them, call it done. Engine block will spilt before you break those :biggrin:

Agreed. Roller rockers are overkill for a stock headed motor.

BTW: anyone know what usually will cause a rocker shaft to break??

FYI...if you look at the first photo you'll see the shaft was about half way up the bolt head. The aftermarket, cheapo, grade five allen head the previous owner used did not have enough purchase on the shaft to keep it still and locked in place. Eventually the shaft worked it's way up, and the bolt augered out the hole on the shaft to the point that the shaft split in two. This tells me that both shafts have to be replaced, and for insurance I'm replacing the rockers, as well. Pretty scary when your valve train is moving around that much!!!! :eek:

Also - to everyone that posted...thank you. I appreciated your input. Some said stock, some said full roller, and some said intermediate. All good advice. I had to stick with what my budget dictated, and tried to do the best I could. All suggestions were appreciated!!

same thing with the cam issue not everyone can afford a roller. Not everyone can afford roller rockers. might be the best thing out there but some people have to go in the middle.

I just broke a stock bolt on my freshly rebuilt motor; it broke right at the top of the pedestal. The shaft bent at the center bolt and had about 3 cracks running from the hole. Due to the way the bolt broke I credited the failure to the use of parts with an unknown history and insufficient inspection during the rebuild.
I also looked at the RJR kit, they use the stock bolts with the add-on support pieces. I didn’t like how the shank of the bolt is now going to be up inside the rocker shaft. I ordered some 5/16 x 2” bolts from ARP to keep the shank of the bolt going through both holes in the new shafts for location purposes. I’ll make my own shaft supports using counter bored holes so the new bolt heads have full contact when torqued. The bolts should arrive on Friday I’ll try and post pictures when done.

Mike