Burns oil at Start up

86Nick

Not your Grandpas' regal
Need some help! After starting and idling my buick for a couple of minutes it turns in to a mosquito fogger. Smell of oil bad! After a few more minutes it clears up and doesn't smoke anymore. I also checked during some beatin runs and no smoke. Pulled plugs and don't see any oil on plugs. Also checked turbo on both sides and no oil found. I think maybe some bad valve seals. Since the motor sat for a while after assembled. What do you guys think?

The oil could be coming from several places but the most likely spot is the PCV. Is this motor a new build? What intake gasket are you using? Is the PCV valve in the stock location or is it in the valve cover? Off topic,your time and speed in your signature is kind of slow for what you have in the motor. :confused:

Nick, is this on a rebuilt motor? How much vacuum do you have at idle?

Did you try running without the pcv?

The oil could be coming from several places but the most likely spot is the PCV. Is this motor a new build? What intake gasket are you using? Is the PCV valve in the stock location or is it in the valve cover? Off topic,your time and speed in your signature is kind of slow for what you have in the motor. :confused:

Yes, I know the time is slow. I made 4 runs and only got one full run all the way to the end. The other 3 times the car was shutting off mid way down the track. Still not able to duplicate problem on the street. Although the problem didn't seem to happen until I pour 5 gallons of 110 octane in a full tank of 93.

Nick, is this on a rebuilt motor? How much vacuum do you have at idle?

Did you try running without the pcv?

Yes, This a rebuilt motor. When I bought the motor from a guy in Orlando it was sitting on a stand in a plastic bag for a year. The guy lost interest in the car and was parting it out. I got the the machine shop paper work with the motor. No, never ran it without a PCV. It has 25 for vac.

I just installed a ported intake and installed new intake gasket with it. My problem has not changed.

Does your intake gasket have the integral valley pan? Is your pcv valve in the stock location?

Yes, it has PCV instock location and with a RJC check valve. Yes has a integral valley pan setup. I removed PCV and it still smokes.

I had the exact same problem your having. When I had to pull the turbo off to fix the oil drain gasket, I noticed there was a good bit of shaft play in the turbo. I put another turbo on and the problem was gone. With the old turbo, it would only show up when the car was cold and had higher oil pressure at start up. Check inside your DP and see if you see any signs of burnt oil.