Bumper supports

8URVETT

Does anyone have any pictures of there "Dieted" bumper supports? Trying to get an idea of what to do here.

If you're talking about the so-called "canadian bumper brackets/supports", there's a guy on ebay always selling them, with pix. Check "buick grand national" on ebay - you may find 'em there...

:)

My car is from Canada, do I have canadian bumper supports???

I see this talk about canadian bumper supports, and my gn was from canada. Does that mean I have them, and whats the deal with em?

The so-called "canadian bumper supports/brackets" are in fact export brackets from earlier years. My bet is your car doesn't have them. They substitute for the full length reinforcements you probably have.

They save considerable weight over steel reinforcements, and some weight over aluminum reinforcements.

There's no facilities for mounting your center filler (the V shaped, silver one) with these.

Do you have steel or aluminum reinforcements?

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
I'll have to check. So the canadian ones were even lighter than the aluminum ones?

Yep, save about 6# over the aluminum support. These are only available for the front end.

Jim

Canadian or export braces are a generic term some have used but they were also available on the domestic models. The real set up consisted of three pieces not just the two main mounting brackets. I dont have a picture to send but all they are is just a short steel mounting bracket about 10' in length(width?) between the bumper and energy asorber. I actually compared these two brackets with an aluminum support and they weigh the same, no more no less. The 3rd piece was just a cross brace that enabled you to have a point to attach the two recoil springs on the lower part of the grill. All 84 to 86 turbo cars got the aluminum reinforcement and on the 87's only the non GN models got the aluminum. Also all of the GNX's got aluminum. If you have a 87 GN than you have a steel one. All 86 and 87 307 V-8 cars also got the aluminum ones. I dont know what NA versions got the Canadian style but they are out there, mostly on the 84 to 87 years. I guess if you dont have an aluminum one and are looking to shed some weight than the Canadian ones are the way to go but you will still need to rig a support to keep your grill pushed out.BTW to check if your car came with aluminum ones from the factory look for the codes VD6(front) and VD7(rear) on your trunk label.

I beg to differ on the weight of the Canadian brackets being the same weight at the aluminum reinforcement. The aluminum reinforcements weighs 11# and the Canadian brackets weight 5# combined (just the 2 brackets, not the center piece). You can drill holes in the top corners of the brackets for your grill springs - works perfect.

Jim

Okay, By a stroke of luck I found a front aluminum reinforcement at u-pull-it this weekend and it weighs a couple of ounces over 11 pounds so you are right on that but I didn't have the Canadian braces handy so I can not confirm 2.5 pounds apiece but about 10 years ago I went to the trouble of weighing these heavy,heavy gauge steel brackets and I did not notice that big of a difference so I guess we will have to what and see if any one else will confirm the weight. I did a little more checking and here is what I found out. What has been refered to as Canadian is not really Canadian at all but domestic in application. They are only listed for the 84 and 85 model years only and in fact the Canadian cars probally came with aluminum on all models although I could not confirm this as I have never looked at the codes for a NA powered Canada car. This makes sense to me as the last time I saw a set of these was on a 84 with the 4.1 NA. And I think you are going to have to strecth them springs out if you are going to get them hooked on the brackets. An easy fix would be to use longer springs from a hardware store.

Eric,

For the record I have a pair of the little brackets, brand new, in a box, so I'll weigh them up tonite and report back.

My Canadian GN ('87) has steel reinforcements F and R. My Canadian T ('87) has aluminum reinforcements F and R.

:D

Are there any codes on the trunk underside to tell what you have??? I have an 86 GN from canada, but cannot tell what I have yet. I will find out when I remove the bumpers.

Scott

The "canadian" brackets are really 1984 "2.5 mph" bumper brackets where the full brackets are "5 mph" brackets. Thank Ronald Reagan for them :) but thank your insurance agent and CAFE requirements for giving us the AL ones (and for the current high car prices :) )

The 2.5 mph brackets and Hardware weigh about 6.5 lbs vs. about 13 lbs for the AL bracket and hardware, so about 6.5 lbs lighter.

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
Are there any codes on the trunk underside to tell what you have??? I have an 86 GN from canada, but cannot tell what I have yet. I will find out when I remove the bumpers.

Scott

Why not just do the magnet test? If they stick they are steel, if not they are aluminum.:D

If you replace both steel reinforcement braces with the aluminum ones you save a total of about 37lbs!

These two pics are the front brace in both steel and aluminum, read the scale! 17lb weight savings on the front. Back is about a 20 lbs savings.

steelbumper.jpg

aluminumbumper.jpg

Like the fish said, aluminum reinforcement RPOs are VD6 and VD7. I guarantee you you don't have the mini-brackets, unless someone changed them. The mini-brackets are for racing only, IMHO...

I thought about going to the "mini" brackets when I repainted My car, yesterday I was glad I didn't. Someone behind me decided not to stop at the red light I was waiting for and a$$ ended the Buick. Very little damage, mostly paint actually. I'd hate to see what would have happened had I replaced the reinforcements with the "mini's". Just something for you guys with street cars to think about, s*it does happen.

Eric.

I have a good export brace for sale, I do have PICS also

From what I have seen the guy on E Bay only sells the peice that bolts to the bumper shocks, The export brace is that peice, and a sheet metal brace that connects the two together and also to the bumper all the way across.

Ok well here is the verdict. As I said before, my car was originally from Canada and is an 86 GN. The rear had steel support, but the front did have the aluminum support. So I replaced the rear with the aluminum support. Since 6lbs really isnt that much, and I really dont feel like rigging up my grille springs a different way, I am leaving the front aluminum support on and will not put the canadian ones on. Anyone need a set of canadian ones? For sale!

Scott