bumper filler / paint

burnout

When it is time to get my car painted can I leave the bumper fillers on it or do they need to be painted different, one more question. I want to remove the opera windows before paint and I was wondering how. The molding is in good shape and will be reused. Thanks.
Burnout

The fillers need to be painted with flex agent. IMO they should be painted separately. That how I'm going to do it. I think the opera windows come out when you undo the 5 or 6 fasteners on the inside. They should be located under the plastic panel that goes around the window. The window is held in with sealer and you have to push them out (once the fasteners are undone). I haven't done it myself but read about it here. (Did a search on opera window). I'm gonna do it myself today.

First of all, do you have original style fillers and not fiberglass replacements. Of course, if you have the replacements you can paint them while still on the car. As far as Flex agent, if you feel more comfortable having it used, then, use it. In my personal opinion, I don't believe in it. Another point is that if you're having someone paint your car, you have no way of knowing if they use the flex agent other than they may charge you for it. In my experience, not using it, has no effect on the finished product.

Thanks guys. The bumper fillers are still the originals. I'am just going to leave them when I get the car painted. I did search on opera windows and didn't find much. I just want to remove them before paint and reuse the trim.

Thanks again
Burnout

Just did this myself. The Opera windows once unbolted from the inside, just push out. There will be a tar like gasket around the edges (butyl tape?) just push it out slowly and clean it up. The butyl tape balled up and handled with a rubber glove will stick to itself very easily and come right off the body. Good Luck.

Have you put the windows back in yet? And if so how did you re-seal them?

Thanks,Burnout

You will have to purchase new butyl tape or swing by the local glass shop and ask them if they can sell you some (scraps). I have seen this stuff in a caulking tube and in a 3M kit. Most auto paint supply stores sell this over the counter also. Simply re-apply it on the backside of the window. PS: read all instructions if available.

87 T-type Astro Roof, GM 2004 Arrival Blue Metalic, Custom Chip (Turbotweak), 9in K&N filter, kirban FP regulator, hotwire kit, & HV fuel pump.