Bumper filler fit/quality

TR87386

In the market for front bumper fillers, was wondering what experiances people have had with the ABS vs GM. The GM's are about the same price as after market. I am mainly concerned with the fit. In past experiances (especialy body related) the aftermarket fit has been disappointing. I also do not have the large reinforcing pieces behind the bumpers I have the GM brackets that replace them, that bolts to the bumper shock absorber. It has been a while but I think the fillers used to rest on the top surface of the reinforment. Now that this is absent the fillers were a little floppy where they tuck in under the bumper. Would the ABS be better as far as saging is concerned? TIA

I just bought the fiberglass ones from Ebay and they look great...BUT..They did need some modifying. Everyone says they fit perfect, but they do not.

The fronts line up good. you have to bend the bottom part of the filler outward to meet the fender. When you bend them your paint on the filler could crack as mine did. You need to install them before painting, bend them where needed and reinforce with bondo-glass from behind in the corners. This will prevent them from bending back once you remove them and they won't flex and crack the paint.
The left rear is the worst. The tail light would not install all the way in because the filler is to deep. And the filler hits the rear bumper which will cause the paint to scuff.
The fiberglass fillers are great. You just need to install them and modify them with some bondo-glass before you paint them. I have a show car and these look awesome.

I would imagine the glass fillers preped right would have a smoother look vs the wavey plastic ones. Hmmm. I was not looking at the fiber glass but now I am wondering if that might be the better way to go.

I had a set of fiberglass ones I removed from another car. Smoothness and quality was good, but they are very brittle and I didnt like it. I ordered a set of ABS ones for my other car and I sent them back. They got here with some cracks and had globs of epoxy or whatever it was in the corners for stability. To me it looked like theyd need alot of work. When all is said and done, I am back at oem and won't go any other way. Although the rears are expensive, the fronts can be had pretty cheap. I located a rear passenger side used one in great shape and still very flexible. Now I have to source a driver's rear. May have to shell out the 300 to get that one to get her finished. But at least its oem.

My car is not a show car, but has nice paint that was done right a few years back. Ultimatly it is a street car so the filler being perfectly strait without the wave that you get with the OE stuff is not a major concern. I do drag the car and it is a T-top car so it twists a little when lauching with the stickys. I would hate to have the bumper coming into contact with the fiberglass and f@#ing up the filler after fresh paint.:eek: I already have this problem with the drivers side of the deck lid hitting the top of the rear quarter. I was soooo bent after the first outing at the track after paint:mad:

FWIW: I just bought new ones from GM. The front ones turned out perfect. The rear ones were a nightmare. Apparently GM has a new company making them and their quality control isn't what it should be especially when you spend around $700/pair :mad:

I just order a front and rear set for my 87 GN from Danko Reproductions Inc. They are the fiberglass version, so I will let you know how they turn out. The price was good compared to others. They are going on a Drag car, so they in fact don't have to be perfect. The ones currently on the car were older abs plactic and they are all cracked and falling apart now. I hate having the track stopped to pick up bumper filler parts. LOL It also makes the car look like crap.

I orderd the factory fronts let you know after they are painted my guy has had them for like a month

I have replaced them with oem, fiberglass, and abs. The abs rear are nice with a little work but the fronts are junk. The fiberglass ones need alot of fit adjustments by drilling out the bolt holes for the best fit. You can't go wrong on the front OEM's. I just replaced them on my T-Type and they were 160.00 for the pair and they fit perfect compaired to the abs or fiberglass. The finish was even better. The rear OEM are 700 bucks so I would make do with fiberglass or ABS they both need work but the end product is good.

Great info guys, I think I am going to stay OE as I am doing the fronts only. My rears look good....for now :rolleyes: . I just priced through a friend at the local dealer. 75 each out the door. Thanks for the opinions.

Got mine from the GSCA club. Fit as good as any others I've seen. They're abs

Hi,
I put fiberglas fillers on front and rear. They are acceptable,though I wouldn't say the fit is perfect.I can't remember the supplier,but I do remember spending a lot of time painting and fitting them. This was several years ago. Anyway, the fillers have held up a lot better than the old crap, so we shall see....