Built Shortblock Cheap!

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
I have an 84-85 block that has billet caps, BA crank, stock rods with ARP bolts, and TRW pistons. It has the drain tube opening machined for the turbo drain tube, and has been internally balanced to zero. The factory balancer (87 style) has been machined to zero balance along with the factory flywheel. Comes with timing chain cover, high volume oil pump, and oil pan. This shortblock is fresh and never run.

$2000 OBO

what are the differences between the 87 block and the 84-85?

Not to hijack, but there are some considerable differences in the blocks. There are 3 webbing braces in the lifter valley on the 109s. The 109 blocks have 20 oil pan bolts and takes a slightly different front cover. The hot air blocks have 14 oil pan bolts. The deck height on the hot air blocks is a little taller due to the factory use of the thinner steel shim head gaskets. But this block for sale sounds excellent. The billet caps and aftermarket crank shaft would make this thing awesome. I'm running a hot air block in mine right now. It's nothing like this one, mines completely stock with a cryo'd crankshaft and forged pistons. I've run high 10's with many times and still going strong. I wouldn't be afraid of this setup AT ALL. If I had the money I'd be all over this. This is a nice setup.

Not to hijack, but there are some considerable differences in the blocks. There are 3 webbing braces in the lifter valley on the 109s. The 109 blocks have 20 oil pan bolts and takes a slightly different front cover. The hot air blocks have 14 oil pan bolts. The deck height on the hot air blocks is a little taller due to the factory use of the thinner steel shim head gaskets. But this block for sale sounds excellent. The billet caps and aftermarket crank shaft would make this thing awesome. I'm running a hot air block in mine right now. It's nothing like this one, mines completely stock with a cryo'd crankshaft and forged pistons. I've run high 10's with many times and still going strong. I wouldn't be afraid of this setup AT ALL. If I had the money I'd be all over this. This is a nice setup.

You forgot to mention that the 84-85 block does not come with the drain tube opening for the turbo since the older motors had the turbo over the back of the intake and drained into the lifter valley through the manifold. But it has been installed on this one. Some claim these motors when stock cannot handle the same power as a 109. Well my old GN I had spun a bearing in the 109 and put a stone stock 84 shortblock in the car (stock cam even) and went 10.60s @ 127 off the footbrake with no problems.

TTT

I hear ya. I've been running my hot air block for 3 years now and been punishing it pretty good. I too had to drill the drain hole and tap it, but was no big deal at all. I just replaced head gaskets for the first time in 3 years also. I've been running it near 30 psi on pump gas and alcohol and no problems other than the lifted head. I probably could have gotten by with a retorque, but opted to just pull the heads and reseal it up good with an RJC kit. Like you said, some claim these motors won't hanlde the power, but I haven't seen anything to make me think they won't. I've got my 109 on the stand as a backup. I'll keep hitting this one until it gives up and then put the 109 back in. Good luck with your sale...I think that is a great deal.