building or coding my own scanmaster?

lp2

badass mofo
Hi guys, I'm getting near the end of my budget 85 buildup, and now I'm trying to think of a cheap way to get a scanmaster type tool going.

Now heres the thing, I'm a comp sci major and my brother is an electrical engineer, so I'm thinking we could just build our own. I could either code something up for use on a laptop, or we could build a complete unit. Are there specifications on how the codes are thrown somewhere? Is it just read from a serial port?

Has anybody else made their own for personal use?

Thanks!

Originally posted by lp2
Hi guys, I'm getting near the end of my budget 85 buildup, and now I'm trying to think of a cheap way to get a scanmaster type tool going.

Now heres the thing, I'm a comp sci major and my brother is an electrical engineer, so I'm thinking we could just build our own. I could either code something up for use on a laptop, or we could build a complete unit. Are there specifications on how the codes are thrown somewhere? Is it just read from a serial port?

Has anybody else made their own for personal use?

Thanks!

Over at DIY-EFI, is the material for an item called Lockers.
RR has or had some PC boards already made up, and the 148 program for it. 15 frames a sec., if you want to do data logging.
Uses a laptop for display.