Buick Grand Nationals

cutty_on_deez

Yeah I'm new to this site and I was wondering if any of you guys or girls (if theres any) use your grand national as a daily? If so, how is it? And what would you recommend as a daily driver? Buick grand national or Turbo regal......thanks.....and I would really appreciate it if you list some advantages and disadvantages...

my 86 gn is my daily, and as long as you don't go too far with modifying them, i think any turbo regal makes a great daily driver. only downside is that you MUST keep high octane gas in them (i only use 93). great gas milage, comforable, and fast. you simply CANNOT buy a new car that gives you what a turbo regal does.

I have a work car that I drive 5 days a week...but the rest of the time I drive my 36k mile GN around. The only downside is worrying about it in parking lots (dings or theft) and always wanting to race people. :)

I think another downside is they are not the greatest in the rain if you get into any kind of boost.

If you learned to drive on powerful RWD V8's there should be no problem using one as a daily driver. :cool:

If you learned to drive on rice forgetaboutit. ;)

Can't think of any downsides of using one as a daily driver.

Proper tires and maintenance are important and a garage would be nice but not totally necessary.

You won't keep it a show car however.

Before selling my 87 GN it was my daily driver for three years and was great. I had it for about another 8 months and drove it periodically. I think it behaved better when being driven all the time. If you are going to be a freak about the little stuff I would by something other than a black car.

I think another downside is they are not the greatest in the rain if you get into any kind of boost.

you dont find that fun? god i love peoples faces as i drive past them with the rear end of the car walking around to the side. really helps you shake that soccer mom who just HAS to ride on your ass with her big 4x4.

Originally posted by equalizer442
you dont find that fun? god i love peoples faces as i drive past them with the rear end of the car walking around to the side. really helps you shake that soccer mom who just HAS to ride on your ass with her big 4x4.

you can also achieve this with a pickup, and its cheaper to fix;) thats why i love my ranger, i beat the **** out of it sometimes and its so manuverable.

or a 85 cutlass with 2.** posi rear, i miss that car, it would not spin the tires unless you were in soapy water but once you got that thing spinning it was one wild ride, the gn is no where near as crazy and uncontrollable as that car was

i drive mine 30 miles to work every day. its fast, unique, fun to drive. however, i just screwed up the tranny.... again.

I use mine for daily driver. Fun car to drive all the time, but like it was said before, rain can make it entertaining....

I've been driving mine as a daily driver for a long time. Repeating everything everyone else has said...

-Good economy
-Comfortable
-you must worry about it when parking
-driving in the rain actually isn't too bad, I don't think. Yes, you have to tickle the gas pedal from time to time but the posi and good tires don't make it too much of a hand full. I've even had the misfortune of having to drive it in an unplowed snowfall... not the best, but it came home in one piece.
-I've had it break occasionally, but that comes with the turf.
-ADVANTAGE: Being able to make that hated drive to work first thing in the morning so much more enjoyable when that turbo sucks in that crisp cold morning air! :)
-ADVANTAGE: Coming out of work and lighting up the tires when you've just had a BAD day!
- DISADVANTAGE: All your work colleagues telling you how much they like your MONTE CARLO!!

Not driving it any more because I moved... man do I miss it!

Drive mine everyday to work (40 miles oneway) and I would not drive anything else, except during a snow storm. If it snows hard enough I take my wife's WRX. I wash the GN once every two weeks rain or shine during the winter and I put a fresh coat of wax once a month. So far so good. Also I have multiple alarms as well as LoJack and collar lock installed. Other than that I stay out of boost in the rain and I park it directly in sight of my classroom so while I teach I can check on it. :D :cool: