Buick died on the way to work today..had to tow..cam sensor??

Are you pulling our chain? I ask because your join date is 2002 and you have 635 posts. You have been on this board longer than most.

Are you pulling our chain? I ask because your join date is 2002 and you have 635 posts. You have been on this board longer than most.

After doing a search I've seen that this is excessive play. Sorry, this is my first cam sensor failure, just got into it this morning at 7am! I hadn't seen anyone else report this before. So, given that my cam sensor completely failed, could this have caused any actual damage or shall I just change the oil and drop in a new sensor? I'm only 26, I haven't seen it all yet ;)

Well I just pulled the sensor but I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. One odd thing is the entire shaft will move up and down quite a bit within the assembly, could this be the problem? It feels like I could easily pull it all the way out.

One thing to look for, is the dist. gear. Is it still attached? If not, then you probably can pull the shaft all of the way out. Excessive play might change the timing of the sensor, but it would have to be pretty far off.

Linc,
How's it going? Your problem does sound like a coil pack/ignition module problem. They can be fine until the heat in the engine compartment causes them to act up. Once they cool, they can be fine again. I have had that issue a few times too.

Dist. gear is not attached, I can see something loose down inside the front cover. I'm gonna go get a magnet and pull it out. What to do next? Install a new sensor and I'm good to go I hope..

Great..so I'm trying to fish out the shim and gear from the front cover with a clothes hanger and the shim disappears and falls somewhere, still inside the front cover..any chance on getting it out with a magnet or do things disappear inside there and wind up way down there?