buick 3.8 V6 in my toyota 4x4

F

funnytoe

hi guys
i have a 81 toyota truck i have a dana 60 rear end detroit lockes
dana 30 in front with locker as well.
i am puttin a buick V6 in it
i am not familar with all the aftermarket parts for this engine that that make.
i was going to drop in a 350 but it would be really heavy up front
it aready has a 350 turbo tranny all i need is to build up the engine.i am going to buy the block but i want to do some research on it before i buy it.

1. is there a certain year or stamped number to look for?

2.is there aftermarket heads or should i have the stock ones machined?

3.i am also not sure if i will go turbo or not.its just going to be used to go rockcrawling i really just want tons of torqe

4.it dose not need to be smog leagle its just and offroad truck for fun.

any help would be great.if i posted this in the wrong place and offened anyone with a buick i am very sorry.

Originally posted by funnytoe
hi guys
i have a 81 toyota truck i have a dana 60 rear end detroit lockes
dana 30 in front with locker as well.
i am puttin a buick V6 in it
i am not familar with all the aftermarket parts for this engine that that make.
i was going to drop in a 350 but it would be really heavy up front
it aready has a 350 turbo tranny all i need is to build up the engine.i am going to buy the block but i want to do some research on it before i buy it.

1. is there a certain year or stamped number to look for?

2.is there aftermarket heads or should i have the stock ones machined?

3.i am also not sure if i will go turbo or not.its just going to be used to go rockcrawling i really just want tons of torqe

4.it dose not need to be smog leagle its just and offroad truck for fun.

any help would be great.if i posted this in the wrong place and offened anyone with a buick i am very sorry.

Welcome...

First off, go to www.gnttype.org...A lot of good info there, almost all of it is about the turbo Buick V6s, but a lot of the info also applies to the NA motors, especially the mechanical stuff...

1. Get the 86/7 motor with 25526109 casting # on it...

2. For what you are doing, the stock heads will be fine with just a valve job...

3. Turbo's create lots of underhood heat and you're cooling system really needs to be excellent to cool the turbo'd motors...

4. Check with TA Performance in AZ for a cam...If they don't have one, they can get it ground to your specs...Just tell them what you are trying to do...Also, may try Kenne-Bell or even Poston's for the cam...

One other thing, if going carburated, you have two choices for a 4 bbl intake...The first one is the factory aluminum intake off of an 80-84 Buick 4.1L V6...It will bolt right on the 3.8L motor with no mods...If you can find the 4.1L motor in a salvage yard with the carb still attached, grab it as well...Your other intake choice is an Edelbrock...

No offense taken...I have a similar project in the works...I have an 86 Toy 4x4 that I am going to put a Buick 350 in...I will run the 700-r4 tranny with a 208 transfer case from a mid 80's full size Chevy...Still need to get the tranny and also need to send out the engine to be machined, but kind of short on funds right now...

BTW, when putting a Buick motor together, make sure you follow Buick specs carefully...What is the norm for a Chevy motor will absolutely destroy a Buick motor...Buick's like tighter bearing clearances...Shoot for .0015-.002 on the rods and mains...

Hope this helps out some...If you have any more questions, just ask...

An EFI 5.0 Ford engine may be a good choice also (Block is 75lbs+ lighter than a 350). They are cheap, reliable, and with aluminum heads (shed another 40lbs for $850) can make about 330hp and 375ft/lbs tq getting good gas mileage being EFI.

Here is an N/A 3.8i Buick swap website:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/buick_v6_swap.html

Northwest has kits for what you want to do:
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/index.html

As well as the grandfather of 4x4 swaps.... Advanced Adapters:
http://www.advanceadapters.com/product/product.html

If a turbo Buick V6 appeals to you I have a complete engine from intake to oil pan with turbo. It is disassembled, has all the machine work done, and needs assembly. email me if you are interested in the engine. "109" block and everything to make about 400hp in stock form and 450ft/lbs tq as is with no more mods.

gnx7@hotmail.com

I'm in San Francisco and will not ship.

-GNX7

You could go with a GM crate motor. They have a 3.4V6 that would come with a warranty and is almost 200hp.

if your wanting the most torque for the dollar with a buick v6 find you a 4.1 out of an early 80's full size car..

if you find a buick v6 with a 4 barrel carb factory odds are its a 4.1

Re: Re: buick 3.8 V6 in my toyota 4x4

Originally posted by FJM568

One other thing, if going carburated, you have two choices for a 4 bbl intake...The first one is the factory aluminum intake off of an 80-84 Buick 4.1L V6......Your other intake choice is an Edelbrock...

Or Holley
Or Weiand
Or Offenhauser....Everybody was making performance parts for the Buick V6 NA back in the 80's. Just watch ebay for a good deal. :)

Since it's for rock climbing and not a 10-sec drag car, I really believe any even-fire Buick V6 block is fine.

NA vs. Turbo

Originally posted by funnytoe

I would think a truck set-up for rockcrawling would desire the predictable throttle response of a normally asperated engine. A turbo motor would be better for non-finese sports like mud, sand, and hill climbing.

I did an '85 LB1 carbed 4.3 chevy in an '88 4runner. I was looking for more power--didn't happen. What I did get (RV camshaft) was a significant increase in torque. No more downshifting when trying to maintain speed going up a hill.