Budget turbo step up for my mods

Timbuick

Hi guys, stock turbo on the way out. Looking for a budget priced step up. I see supporting vendors have Precision 3231 and 5857 turbos at good prices.

My mods in brief are, stock d/p, turbo I/C. Alky, cam, ported heads and larger inlet valves, catless 2.5" exhaust and TT5.6 chip.

Currently running 13 in the quarter.

I have to buy carefully because I have to ship to the UK which means adding $200 approx to any list prices (thanks to my government for 20% import tax from USA).
Thanks in advance
ps sticking with stock D5 convertor, so spool up is essential.

Why do you need a new turbo? The stocker will go low 12s. I'll look at a dutt neck and drag radials for better times.

Why do you need a new turbo? The stocker will go low 12s. I'll look at a dutt neck and drag radials for better times.

Probto: If you re-read the top section, he says his stock turbo is on the way out and will need to be replaced.

OP: what are your goals? Do you plan to run faster than 13's or do you want just a stock replacement? You can rebuild your stocker, or find a used good one. But if you want more power, the TE-44 is a great turbo for the $$, and can spool on the stock D5 converter. The 5857 turbo from Precision is a lot of turbo. From what I gather, it can support more than the TE-60 (another good turbo/$$$), which is a step or two higher than the 44.

HTH
Zack

If you don't want to rebuild the stocker there in England, the a good choice for the stock D5 is a Garrett housing TA49 then.

Truth is guys, my stock turbo was rebuilt over here and only lasted 18 months before I found the inlet wheel moving last weekend when I inspected it. I do have fresh oil every 1,000 miles or so and a turbo saver too. Just don't think the quality of rebuild was good enough.
That logic directs me to a step up turbo, nothing too dramatic.
Thanks for input so far.

Could be a choice but not a "budget" turbo...