Budget BBC turbo project...

VictoryTrans86

I'm in the process of building a BBC regal thats gonna be my track car. Its pretty close to completion and I will get some pics as soon as it does.

My question surrounds my street car project. Its just a mild Gen V 454, iron heads, cam, ya know basic stuff. From what I understand the Gen V's aren't the best, so I'm shooting for 650hp at the most. The catch w/ this is, I want this to be a DIY, budget build in the most literal sense. I'm really doing the turbo thing for fun and just to see what I can do for dirt cheap. I have alot of money tied up in the other car and don't have the desire for this to be the same. I'm just looking for opinions as far as turbo's, headers and general exhaust routing. I'm kinda undecided on whether I want to go single or twins. Does anyone think 2 GN turbos would work? I mean 231x2=462 so in a mathematical sense, it would work. Is there anyway to get bigger exhaust housing for these? ie. A/R...maybe 1.3 or so, or 4 bolt? Any opinions on this would be great

Also as far as the headers go, I don't have the desire nor the cash to fab another set of headers, and I've heard of alot of SBC guys "flipping" headers to work for turbo apps, anyone know if this is the same w/ BBC headers, as I have a set of shorties on it now that would work great. Also another general opinions on crossover routing would be cool. Either way I'm guessing if the flipping technique works I'd have the headers forward facing, and would run a crossover in front of the motor if I decide w/ a single. What is the smallest cheapest single you guys think would work? Looking forward to hearing some ideas...Thanks

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,011
  • resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,002
Sounds like a cool project,

If you already have the shorty headers, Use the driver side and fab only one pass side header for a single turbo.

A single T-76 should spool like crazy with your displacement and still support 750 HP.

Take your existing intake and convert it to EFI, buy an elbow, and TB, Use a powerstroke IC. All you need is a set of injectors and an old style FAST and you have yourself a docile street sleeper.

If you hunt around for bargains, you might be able to pickup alot the the stuff you need pretty cheap.

Good luck!!

Dave

I was basically talking 650 rwhp not at the motor, and I think 600 or maybe even less would be realistic. I'm really not looking to change anything on the car from where its at. The cam is not optimal, but I believe the LSA is about where it needs to be, the exhaust lift and duration are also decent from what I understand.

And also wasn't sure about the whole Fuel injection thing either, even w/ used stuff, it might still get expensive. I've since switched to a quick fuel carb because demon's are junk, and I can modify for blowthrough myself, and either build my own hat or buy that cheap turbonetics piece from jegs. And a powerstroke is exactly what i planned on doing, and I'm gonna mock up my own alky injection setup for extra insurance on pump gas. Do you think a 76 would be big enough? And can they be had w/ a T6 ex. side? Talking about it is making me want to out and work on it now:D

I was also thinking about running the crossover in the front of the motor, as room in the back is pretty tight already, w/o a 4 or 5" DP in the way

Some more progress pics....As you can see I have a long way to go. I'm gonna wait to tackle the turbo issue last. For the most part, the interior was completed today (gotta love those matching seats);)

Next step is some header panel repair, fit bumper fillers, bumpers and hood, roll fenders, then I'm gonna start body work and paint. I'm undecided on what rims to use, and would like some opinions. I'm thinking either Billet specialties street lites if I feel like spending a ton, or greg weld dragstars if I'm feeling cheap. I have 325/50's going on the back. All in all, it's coming together, albeit very slow, but it will be worth it having one of the fastest street cars in my little city. Also I included a pic of the rearend I'm gonna use, has a serious rust issue obviously, I was wondering if theres any little tricks, short of sandblasting or dipping, that might help tone that down a bit. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• int1.jpg
    int1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,825
  • int2.jpg
    int2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,838
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,862
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,859
Tony,

I think a T-76 will be plenty for a street car and will spool like a stock GN. I'll bet it will be wicked fun on the street. I don't think a T6 housing is available for that turbo.

I can understand why you want to do a blow through setup, but I'm sold on EFI for turbos. Alot of the procharger guys do blow through carb'ed setups and make big power.

Like I said, I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible. I 100% agree that EFI would be optimal, but this just started as a regular N/A buildup, and the turbo idea come on as of late. Plus I already have a QF carb that I spent $600+ on, and I doubt I could return it. I already have a boost referenced reg. and I'm also looking for opinions on fuel pumps, don't wanna spend a ton on that area either. I've been doing some research and a 76 sounds good, I'm just worried that w/ the lack of a T6 housing it may choke the motor, even though its a pretty mild 454, I'd have to imagine it breathes quite a bit more than a run of the mill V6. Also Dave, what do you think of a 2.5" or so crossover? It's a 3" collector header, so I was thinking it might be a restriction, but it would probably also keep velocity up, let me know what you think

2.5 crossover is more than enough for a mild set-up. Guys have made 2000hp on a 2.5. I'd use a shorty header or even a stock cast exhuast manifold for the headers on a real budget set-up. A 76 would work but if you don't have one sitting around a couple stock GN turbo's would be cheaper.

A 76 will be restrictive even with a T6 housing due to the turbine wheel being small.

Dusty, I already have the headers, so thats what I'm gonna stick with. Have you heard of any flipping BBC chevy headers as I've previously mentioned. If going w/ a twin setup I'd obviously like to flip em to where they're forward facing, but w/ a single I'd like the crossover in the front, but w/ minimal fabbing, I've already got too much of that done w/ my other car

Dusty, I already have the headers, so thats what I'm gonna stick with. Have you heard of any flipping BBC chevy headers as I've previously mentioned. If going w/ a twin setup I'd obviously like to flip em to where they're forward facing, but w/ a single I'd like the crossover in the front, but w/ minimal fabbing, I've already got too much of that done w/ my other car

Flipping is very common for everyone. I build all my headers forward facing and point down towards the front so I can run the crossover low and out of sight.

i've been thinking of doing a motor like this in my regal too. im thinking turbo'd sbc though......where can i find more info/good pics on this blow through setup? good luck with the big block!

Tony, Take a look my my turbo V8 build post. Should give you an idea on how to route the stuff and clearances involved. Dustys crossover is low and 2.5. Mine is high and 3.0in. You can get an idea on where and what to go with. 2.5 is plenty tho.

good luck w/ that....its hard enough finding N/A headers for a G-body BBC swap, let alone turbo. I'm using a 3" collector shorty header on the driver side, and using the flange from the passenger side to fab my own w/ a 2.5" crossover. Having completed it yet, but mockups have the turbo roughly in the area of a stock GN setup. Only problem I'm running into now is clearance for the 5" DP:eek:

I figured as much...in my eyes 5" is overkill. But I talked to a guy at Majestic, and I decided on an S480 turbo. I don't know much about them, but from what I understand they can be had w/ an 88mm wheel? And it'll have a T-6 1.32 exh. housing and he said a 5" DP is required. But if you say all I need is a 4" you probably know something I don't and I'd rather not mess w/ a bigger DP if not necessary. Either way, I don't plan on spending tons of money and a high dollar intercooler is out of the question. How do you think a powerstroke w/ heavy doses of alky would perform?

The S-480 can be had with an 88mm wheel if you want but I'm sure the 80 can make well over 1000hp.

Just reduce the 5" down to 4" at the turbo to avoid having to run the 5 inch pipe out. I reduced mine from 5-4 and still made over 1400hp.