Broken Parking Brake, need help!

Sandman_GN85

Someone help me?
Alright I for some reason even though I never do, put on my ebrake(or parking brake) on at my school. Got in it and forgot it was on at the end of the day, i knew something felt wierd and after about going 20 yards i heard what i thought was a snap(coulda been someone else or a stick or something) and i was like crap and i saw my brake light was on, so I pulled the handel thing and the light never went off i was like ****. So i am driving and every time i get on the brakes they are soft until the very end where they finally have some force against your foot and the car shakes a little. Also the light goes off when my foot is about halfway pressed down until i hit the stopping part or release. So I get to the first stop sign, put the car in park and push the ebrake pedal down and then release it and everythign goes back to normal, light goes off, brakes work, car sounds and feels right again. Go home and stupidly put the damn brake on outa habit, get up this mornign and same problem, now the light doesn't even fade on and off just stays on, and my brakes are feeling weak. So I am guessing my ebrake is still on somehow, and what I want to know is that is there a mechanical way to get it to shutoff so i can save whatever part of my rear brakes that are left ? Thanks

Have you checked the mechanism inside the passenger compartment? Sometimes, the lubricant that is supposed to keep things working smoothly actually becomes very hard and can prevent it from releasing even when pulling on cable.

Take a close look at it while you pull on the cable, if it is jammed there, try using a screwdriver to clear it.

On the passenger side of the car? I hate not knowing anything about this car or any cars at all, gotta love being 17. Also I opened my power master cylinder and looked into the thing, the one half has fluid in it, the other is totaly dry, should both have brake fluid in them???

Whoa!

No fluid, huh? Sounds like you have a rear brake problem, tied to your e-brake.

I would take the rear drums off and take a look... maybe they were in such a bind for those 20 or so yards of driving that you cracked a rear drum or a brake shoe. This would allow the rear brake calipars to expand a great deal and account for "Missing Fluid".

It would also account for the vibration/pulsing you described after the "BANG" (When the break may have occured)

But, check the e-brake mechanism first. It will be wherever the e-brake pedal or handle is, and the BANG may have been the ratchet releasing way after you thought it was released, but I don't think it would cause a low fluid condition.

Good luck!

How hard is it to take off the drums and crap? Basicly I have no lift or anything to do it on, just those usual tire ramps.