Bring the Old Paint Back

turbolc2

Mongoose
I have an 86 LT Blue metallic T Type with 77k miles.Its a nice car,spent most of its time in the garage.What can/should I do to bring the old paint back? This is really something I know almost nothing about.I have a nice warm garage to get some work done during the cold months.Any help is greatly appreciated.:redface:

Depending how faded and dull it is, you may have to begin by wet sanding with 2000 grit paper to remove the oxidation. That would be followed by a regiment of polishing compounds applied with an orbital buffer.

You can probably find more detailed information on car care Web sites.

1986 GM used Dispersion Lacquer which is much different then buffing 1988 and up enamels’. Depending if the paint is Checked (little cracks)
you can bring it back. But be careful. The paint is extremely thin to begin with so you do not want to use an aggressive white pad or compound.
Use a yellow wool pad with the 3M white polishing liquid. Keep the buffer at a Low RPM and keep it moving to keep the heat down to a minimal. If
you heat the lacquer up if will get soft and you will burn right through it. Always go in the same direction and when you do the final polish
(Sponge pad with finish glaze) polish “Across” what you just did to remove them swirl marks. Never in the same direction. A smart thing
to do would be to tape up the sharp edges and do them by hand and always cut away from all corners and edges.
Good Luck

Bring the Paint Back

L78-Kidd,thanks for the response.If you think of something else,please let me know.

1986 GM used Dispersion Lacquer which is much different then buffing 1988 and up enamels’. Depending if the paint is Checked (little cracks)
you can bring it back. But be careful. The paint is extremely thin to begin with so you do not want to use an aggressive white pad or compound.
Use a yellow wool pad with the 3M white polishing liquid. Keep the buffer at a Low RPM and keep it moving to keep the heat down to a minimal. If
you heat the lacquer up if will get soft and you will burn right through it. Always go in the same direction and when you do the final polish
(Sponge pad with finish glaze) polish “Across” what you just did to remove them swirl marks. Never in the same direction. A smart thing
to do would be to tape up the sharp edges and do them by hand and always cut away from all corners and edges.
Good Luck

That is excatly right.. could not have said it better myself!