Breather

T-Type85David

ALright, im just gonna post this up, cant sleep.

I have a spectre Valve cover breather i had in my car. I since went back to the stock style,seems as tho it worked(idle smoother) with the stock on there. Anyway, would it be better if i just went back to the Open breather type? would it let the engine BREATH better??

pros n cons on this, its all mixed around every car/thread really.

When i did have it on, damn it got dirty Fast, within days.

me too

im working on trying to find a suitable replacement to the breather that was literally dropped into mine. I found the stock filler tube, however with the cold air kit, it has no place to vent into. I have contacted a couple companies for breathers and most said their product should fit, but have seen pics of people with hot air cars and have nice breathers, and would like to know what fits best.

Easy if your looking for one to pop right in, spectre groumets(vavle cover) spectre breather, you can use those 2 but i found a lil more STIff kinda hose works better, breather is not so close and doesnt get dirty as fast. That will work. What i was asking was, the purpose of the breather was? an aftermarket unit, i know the stocker tube shoots it back into the intake to make a more complete burn. Tho it "GUNKS" up the intake tube or Throttle body etc. I read the valve cover breather pretty much 50/50 i want to know ITS PROS N CONS but idk. IM stock right now n the breather it seem to idle a bit smoother would like some more opinons here

Idealy, the stock would give a smoother idle, however mine versus yours, i dont have the inlet for the hose off of the stock piece, so i need the best breather. A breather as i understand it ventelates like a PCV valve does, any pumping pressure in the motor from the pistons going down will creat internal pressure. The breather takes the oil vapor that is in the pressure and feeds it back into the motor for the burnoff. The breather just filters it out of the air till its saturated but its purpose is the same. As for its effect on a smooth idle, stock setup will always be better from my experience. I have the cold air intake kit on mine and im not giving it up for an inlet tube, expecially with what it does like you said with gumming up my intake and the inlet side of the turbo.

the breather lets the crankcase "breathe"- it is the inlet for the air that the PCV valve sucks thru the crankcase to get all the nasty unburnt hydrocarbons (from piston blowby) and water vapor out of the oil. it also is a sort of a pressure release valve for when the motor is under boost and the PCV valve isn't sucking any air thru the crankcase, which keeps your gaskets and seals from springing leaks.
i'v just got a K&N open breather in my valve cover in place of the stock breather setup, and it doesn't spray oil mist all over everything.

Here is a picture of the set-up that was on my car. If you still have the stock MAF tube simply plug the hole near the turbo and buy a breather for the valve cover.

Attachments

• 76957900wodfKQ_ph.jpg
    76957900wodfKQ_ph.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 84