Break in proceedures?

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Is there any good info out there for breaking in a freshly rebuilt motor? The pistons, cam, lifters, etc are all new. Thanks for the help guys. - BB

From what I recall, most cam manufacturers want a specific RPM for 15 minutes to break in the cam. I want to say 2000 rpm but I'm not sure. Check with the manufacturer of your camshaft. After that just double check your fluids and take it easy. Light driving, not steady RPM's. Don't take a 3 hour rip on the highway at a fixed speed. If you are on the highway try to do 65 for a while, then 75 or so. They key is to mix up the RPM's don't keep it the same. Ideally don't boost it either. Try to just putt around or only get a few psi on the gauge. Don't nail it and be raggin the hell out of it. Ideally 2000 miles is a good time frame for break in. Make sure you are using conventional (Normal $2 qt oil) and not synthetic.

It also would be ideal to get one of those filter magnet doodies or a magnetic drain plug to catch any metalic ferous break in materials (metals that can be atracted by a magnet). Small metal shards can shoot right through the oil filter like an arrow thru a score sheet. Change the oil at 500 miles and again at 1000 then again at 2000. Some people will say that's anal but it will keep the break in crap from rolling around in your motor.

The original owner's manual from my 87 GN says the following:

"We recommend that you limit your speed during the first 500 miles to a maximum of 55 mph but do not drive for long periods at a constant speed, either fast or slow. During this time, avoid full throttle starts and, if possible, avoid hard stops especially during the first 200 miles of driving.

Always drive at moderate speed until engine has warmed up."

For what that is worth, not sure how that applies to a rebuild...I know you are supposed to change the oil after only a few hunded miles.