Break in Motor EOS or ZDDP?

Chris McDade

Getting ready to break the new motor in. I have a bottle of the GM EOS and ZDDP.

What is the best one to break the motor in. It has a flat tappet cam.

Either will work? Yes as long as you use about twice as much eos to get to the same lever of zinc, ect. that you need.

One bottle EOS about $8 here in Toronto by the 24 case 3 years ago. Dont know what ZDDP costs with shipping?? Same results for flat tappet break in.

Group of us here went in on a box of 25 ZDDPlus and it work out to be $7.40 ea shipped to my door.

Got them off evilbay

..... Same results for flat tappet break in.

I do not have test results to back this up, but GM discontinued EOS a few years ago because the additives in it would damage the cats before the warranty period expired.

At that point, the word I received from a source at Comp Cams, they acquired the original formula from GM and it is now labeled for them.

Over a year ago, GM offered EOS again, of course at double the old price. :eek:

So ZDDP is over twice the strength, amount of additives, of the old EOS, so where the current EOS is stands now in quality and performance is questionable?:confused:

I don't think GM has any engines with flat tappet cam still under warranty, so why would their product be even good for our old tech engines?

Another point, as far as I can find, NO ONE but ZDDP has actually published test results and details of their product? :eek: They either will not tell you [or me], or they do not know.

With ~$ 20K invested in my engine and turbo I want to know what is protecting it. None of the advertised oil additives are as inexpensive as ZDDP, and all of them are unknown, except for their brand name.

Sorry, I do not accept or trust the ad companies "claims and TV demonstrations" to protect my parts.

Just my opinions! ;)