Brand New 85GN Owner

dave_nines

Just bought a stock 85GN, 1st time owner, long time lover of the car. I was hoping some of you experienced GN owners could give my the quick start, low cost improvements to bring the car up to speed, without alot of modifications and expense. And would someone also explain the need or benefit of changing the ignition and ecm etc to the 86/87 stuff that I've seen on here so much. Thank you any and all in advance, hope to see you on the road soon!
Dave

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome. I have to say from my personal experience that one of the biggest improvements in performance was replacing the exhaust system. Although you don't have to replace the entire exhaust system like I did, it's recommended to at least replace the passenger side header as well as a bigger downpipe and probably get a Hooker catback system as well.
The 87 ECM conversion gives you more data, chip options and scantools to help in tuning the car. A scantool is a must, so that should come pretty soon in your process as well.
Keep an eye on the Parts for Sale section and ebay. Just slowly find good bargains and start building up you modifications.

Have fun!

howdy dave!

hot air thats good to hear

yes the 87 ecm is great because chips are easier to get

oh and mostly 90 % of the cars discontinued so dont think you and
just get new gm parts

where ya from?

From another 85 owner

1985 Buick T-Type

1987 ECU
Spearco Intercooler Part # 2-135
Turbo Turbonetics, Cheetah .63
Razor Alkyl running methanol
Adj Wastegate
GReddy Profec B2 Boost Controller
Kenny Bell Headers
Kenny Bell Air and breather filters
Fuel pump 340
Hot wire kit
Extender Chip
3” High Flow no-cat converter
2 ½ dual mandrel exhaust
MSD 50 Lb injectors
Lt-1 Maf
Translator
Bosch Adj fuel pressure regulator
2004R Shift kit rebuilt with all new performance parts
2800 Torque Converter
AVC Motor Sports GNX cluster dash kit analog
30 Lb boost gauge
Oil pressure
Temp Gauge
New cam “cams 231t 0.519”
New crankshaft
Valve springs
V-8 Radiator
Rod and main bearings
Oil pressure booster plate
Turbo ram air not installed
New Egr
New O2
New Plugs
New Wires
New Vacuum Lines

When I purchased a 1985 T-Type, it had many new suspension parts and all service records. It was set for 9 Lb’s of boost and has an adjustable wastage.

Over time I have added the following items and am presently up to 23 Lb’s of boost

I just purchased a Data-link and will install it soon

Thanks for the info

Well, thanks for the posts guys. I am investigating some of the mods suggested, I am from TEXAS, DFW area. What I'm looking for is good speed and handling for fun road driving, not trying to get an 11 sec drag car. Just want to spank the SS Camaro and Mustangs etc, maybe a Corvette or two.
I'm sure more gas and more air is the 1st place to start, should I go straight to the 87 ECM and a different MAF system before choosing exhaust, intake, and fuel mods? Does anyone have a package they recommend?

Give Jack Cotton a call. He helped me and saved me money by convincing me to not buy the "Hot Part of the Month".
Conrad Carter

84GN w/87 drivetrain