Brakes Hissss?

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
:confused:Well I'm confused again. My 87 GN still has the original brake system (please dont laugh too much) and I just got a brake job. Now I have an interesting problem. My emergency brake light comes on every now and then. What's more alarming is that I have a loud hissing noise coming from the brake pedal itself. When I push down on it to stop (of course) the hissing noise goes away. That is, until I release it to take off from a light and the noise comes back. I told my mechanic and he looked at me weirder than usual. He thought it might be something to do with the cruise control so we disconnected the cruise hose going to the brake pedal. It seems to have helped but at times the same problems come back. Also...I have a weird vibration sometimes in the pedal when stopped and waiting at a light. Any ideas? Thanks!

Well it's still happening. Weird air/hiss noise that only stops when I hit the brakes. It is associated with the red brake light. Never seen anything like it.

The power master is a different animal. Most mechanics scratch their heads. The reservoir itself is misunderstood.
The two tanks on the driver side are for front and back brake feeds. The passenger side of the reservoir is the power assist fluid. That side usually gets over filled by the mechanics but in your case I'm thinking you don't have enough. The pump is running non stop trying to charge the accumulator but is running dry resulting in the vibration your feeling in the pedal. If this is the case the passenger side of the reservoir is prolly dry or close to it.

With the key off press the brake pedal 10-15 times. Then check the brake fluid in the passenger side of the reservoir. It should be close to full. If not, fill it up and replace the lid. Turn the key on. The pump will cycle and start pulling the brake fluid out of the reservoir and into the accumulator. As the accumulator charges up the fluid level will go down to almost nothing in the reservoir. Right before it looks like it's going dry the pump should stop.

HTH

RL

MY BRAKES ARE BACK!!! Thanks to you and to Kirbans the situation is solved and fixed! It was the Accumulator that was failing. Got the repro one and I'm good to go! Thanks again for your help!!!