Brake warning light staying on

84GNGary

Long Time Owner
Have'nt used the car since December which there was no problems. Started it up today and the warning light came on it went out once then came back on again and stayed on for 15 min till I shut the car off. Have stock hydroboost system. Just installed new calipers, wheel cylinders & hoses last March and a new hrdrobooster in August. There are no visible leaks and the fluid level was good. I did not have the emergencey brake on either. :confused: The manual says there is a hydralic problem but it does not tell you what to check.

84GNGary said:
Have'nt used the car since December which there was no problems. Started it up today and the warning light came on it went out once then came back on again and stayed on for 15 min till I shut the car off. Have stock hydroboost system. Just installed new calipers, wheel cylinders & hoses last March and a new hrdrobooster in August. There are no visible leaks and the fluid level was good. I did not have the emergencey brake on either. :confused: The manual says there is a hydralic problem but it does not tell you what to check.
Did you verify the brake pedal switch and the adjustment?

Double check the park brake switch down on the pedal. It is a cheap copper/plastic part that can break rather easily. If that is okay than it is in the hydraulics. I've been playing around with the HB systems on some of my Rivs and every single "brake light on" problem was solved by either bleeding the system or replacing the master cylinder. Double check the calipers and rear cylinders too.

First pull the "e"brake release out and simutaneously make sure the ebrake pedal is all the way up.

2nd Check fluid level in master cylinder.

Pads ,rotors, calipers in good shape? Pads or rotors not worn so much that the caliper pistons arent extended out too far?

The e brake was okay, the light went out when I pulled the wire off of the proportional valve so it's with the hydraulics. Just overhauled the brakes last year and replaced pretty much everything except the master cylinder, had rotors cut down too. I did find one of the new rear cylinders was covered with oily dust so I will replace it this weekend and see what happens.

Eric, are new e brake release handles still available? Only have a few strands of wire left on it.