Brake switch

joebuick

Hello - Just realized my GNX still has the original and recalled brake switch. I have another that is a good one, so my question is: What kind of tool do I use to take the old switch out? I know to pump the brakes to reduce the pressure before removing, but what kind of tool? I do not have a deep well socket that size, and even an open end wrench looks to be about 1.5 inches. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Joe

Take it to the Buick dealerand they will do it at no cost since it was a recall. Why use your good switch - keep it as a spare:)

Joe,
To answer your question, I know from experience that you use a 1 1/2" 6-point deep socket...or if you want to be professional, a Kent Moore J-37717 (they sell for about $20 on eBay). I see from my records that the recall was August, 1990 (http://mysite.verizon.net/rzipin/brake5a1.jpg). If you go back to Buick, they will keep your black switch (I saved mine). Let me know if Buick will recognize a 20 year old recall if you go that route.
RZ

Joe,
Point of information.
I was speaking with a friend that is heavy into antique cars and as your car will be eligible for BCA/other judging in two years, he advised that if you are going for 400 point judging, you should have the black brake switch in one hand and the recall notice in the other or points may be deducted. I do not know if this also applies to Unrestored (Archival) Class U.

Thanks. I am going to keep my original switch, so that won't be a problem. Not sure I can get my original recall letter, but I have a copy of one. Not sure if the VIN number is on it. The car has 1205 miles on it - I drive it about 70 miles a year. Just don't want brake fluid spewing up and on the hood insulation and engine..:eek: