Brake recall

turb

Alldata lists this for 87 Turbo cars:

Safety Recall
Serv. Bulletin 87C13 JUL 90 Recall - Brake Combination Valve Replacement

My friend bought his GN new (still looks new) and never heard of this recall. Also, I don't know where I stand with my recently purchased GN either.

I just put in a rebuilt Powermaster. The instructions as I remember said no warranty unless the proportioning valve (same as combo valve?) has been changed to a brass one. Is this what the recall was about?

I think Pontiac has a site where you can check your Vin and see if recalls have been completed but I haven't found one for Buick - is there one?

Anyone want to chime in?

Thanks

The original brake recall was for a sensor/plug on top of the PowerMaster unit, that was prone to blow off and spew brake fluid under pressure. It's been so long ago, that I don't remember if this even applied to the 87's. I had a buddy w/ a brand new 86, whose did burst and mess up the underhood blanket. GM fixed it for free of course.

I do not think GM would still honor this recall, as there is a "statute of limitations" type clause on TSB's, if memory serves me.

However, if the car has not blown it over this amount of time, I would safely assume the issue was resolved on yours/his.

The rebuilt PowerMasters would be compliant as well. I've installed two of them over the years on two different TR's, with no problems. The problem was identified early on, and nothing you purchase today would be faulty in that way.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I think the switch is a separate recall. The recall is talking about a "combination valve". As I understand it this valve includes the proportioner as well.

I'm almost certian the recall is still in effect for the proportioning valve. The original has a cast body, replacement is a machined finish. Give your friendly GM dealer service dept. a call. When you take it in, set your boost for "valet" cuz you Know the wrench will want to hammer on your ride! :eek:

Let us know what you find out- Jimmy

I'll buzz a dealer tomorrow. But I found an old post:
------------
Just wondering if you really need to change to the brass valve???
Two friends GN's still have iron ones and stop fine, no leaks, no problems.
Anyone know what is the problem with the iron ones, and why only recall in Canada???
---------------

There weren't any responses though.

Originally posted by JToups386
............I do not think GM would still honor this recall, as there is a "statute of limitations" type clause on TSB's, if memory serves me..............

There is never an expiration on a factory recall.

The only brake recall was for the PM switch as mentioned.

GM of Canada issued a recall for the prop valve as well as the switch for '86-7's. In the hundreds of T-R's I have serviced and worked on have never seen the prop valve be a problem.

I live in New York, and Buick replaced mine last year. Had my press. switch replaced when the recall originaly came out, but they did not do the combo valve at that time. ( of course I was not aware that they were replacing them ). Went to the dealer last summer and asked him for the replacement brass prop. valve and he ordered me one with a smile. Just gave him the cast one back after I made the switch. He was going to put it in, but I insisted on doing it myself. HTH

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html

1. My Buick dealer had a PC dedicated to such issues. He simply punched in the VINs and any recalls applicable to my 2 TRs popped up.

2. Both my TRs had the PM pressure switches replaced recently by that dealer. I'm the 2nd owner of both. No time limits. No charges. DO NOT ASSUME that because your switch hasn't failed in 17 or 18 years it won't. That could find cleaning up a big mess under the hood, or dead.

3. The prop valve recall did not apply to my cars. Incidentally, both my cars are Canadian.

I hope this clears up some of the baloney appearing elsewhere in this thread...

Strikeeagle, good find. I thought I had done a search at GN/Ttype but guess I didn't.

So, all of our Canadian brothers and sisters are running around Canada with nice shiny and safe brass pvalves and us poor Yankees are struggling along with ugly old unsafe cast iron ones. Guess I'll just have to drive slower!

I dont think the prop valve was supposed to be replaced under 87C13 on the Regals anyway. I found campaign 86C15 which I think was the same and according to it only 1986 B-body wagons with powermaster get the valve and switch replaced. The original cast iron prop valves were prone to rusting internally causing them to leak. The replacement valves are made out of brass to help eliminate the problem. BTW this was only a problem on the B-body wagons because of the placement of the valve on the frame. As far as I know this wasn't a problem on G-bodies. Canadian cars got the same cast iron valves on the assembly line as everybody else.

Turb, don't think negitive. It's all in how you approach your dealer on the matter. Like I mentioned earlier, my dealer ordered me one last summer. Since I was installing a jumper valve anyhow, I just replaced the valve when I put things back together.

turbofish38,

To my understanding, you are exactly correct. As I said, neither of my 2, '87, Canadian TRs, both having iron prop valves, qualified for the prop valve campaign. I vaguely recall the dealer explaining when I questioned him that the prop valve campaign applied to certain station wagons...

:D

Got through to my Buick dealer. He said his recall computer only goes back to 1995. Big help!About what I thought would happen.

turb, Yes it is very simular. I think it is a revised version as this was the only campaign I could find still in existence. I wish I had the money to convert these over to a file so you guys can read them, I'm still working on doing that though. If I read it correctly they are only going to replace the switch if it is the original black one and not the updated gray top one. If you can get the dealer to do it that will be a good as I think a new switch is going for around $150. Sorry I'm not a Buick dealer other wise I could help you with this.