Brake Pedal & Brakes

mint87gn

I have a problem with my 87 GN that when pressing the brake pedal it goes down but just keeps on traveling all the way down. The brake fluid reservoir is full. The brake light will come on the dash as well. The brakes tend to grab slightly near the end but very unsafe to drive.

The car only has 13000 Miles on it and is all original and I would like to keep it that way if possible. I've been trying to get on the www.gnttype.org sit for days to see if I can find some troubleshooting manuals but the site has been down for a few days now.

I'm trying to find a definitive answer as to where the problem is. Accumulator, PowerMaster, Master Cylinder or somewhere else.

Any troubleshooting help or aide would greatly be appreciated.

I've read the comments to convert to Vaccuum but I would like to keep that as a last resort.

I have another problem and is a little less critical but still annoying to say the least. After the car warms up there is a hesitation when pressing the accelerator and all of a sudden a surge in power and the car takes off.

The car tends to sit in the garage idle most of the year and I've been told by many not to do so. So this year it's time to play.

Thank you.

check your TPS

I had the same sluggish response for a while till a friend of mine tuned the TPS and now the car accelerates when i push the pedal with no hesitation. As for the brake problem, mine did the same thing. Listen for a whine from the accumulator motor, that would be the motor trying to keep the accumulator full. You might need a new accumulator ball. A new system costs about 1g but you can get rebuilt units for about 350 clams on ebay. The acc ball shouldnt be too much by itself but theyre pretty rare on ebay, stay away from dealerships and places like midas!!!!! put a want ad in the parts wanted section on here.:D

Someone else also mentioned to try bleeding the brakes lines as well. Over all the years that I owned the car the brakes have never been touched. I will also take a look at the sensor as mentioned.