brake lines

tenright

Ok here's what I have done to this point, I replaced the rotors with slotted rotors from Jegs and force 10 calipers. all bolted up nicely without modifying anything (yeppie, yahoooo). First issue was the stock rims don't clear the calipers, so with a huff and a puff I got some craiger Kystones (Close as I could get to stock looking) and the clearance problem is solved, while staying with 15" rims. Also has the added feature of bringing the tires out almost flush with the fenders, very nice look. Next problem which I hope you guys can advise me on. The stock brake lines, although I got them to fit with these calipers they are just not designed to be mounted flush with the back of the caliper, not to mention they are rubber and I don't trust them. I want to replace them with braided stainless steel lines but can't find anyone who sells them for our cars, big surprise there....

Lastly, after going through the complicated process of bleeding the damn things with the stock PM, I'm chuckin' it, does anyone have the hydroboost installed? I won't go vacuum to many arguments on the subject, and the PM is definately out.....Hydroboost looks like the way to go, and frankly costs about the same as a vacuum mod. So no vacuum/powermaster arguments please, just comments on the hydroboost or related alternatives please.

BTW....if you read this one Razor, alky kit is in and was a fairly easy install, one point, might want to add a warning for 84/85 GN owners about not drilling to low or high for that matter on the turbo adapter, otherwise they might find themselves shaving off the lip on the intake so the adapter seats :)

I have the SSB Force 10 calipers on both my cars...had the same problem with the GN wheels in that they rubbed a little on the calipers...some creative shaving on the top edges of the caliper with my dremel and problem solved...not sure what you meant by saying the stock brake lines weren't designed to be mounted flush on back of caliper...mine mounted fine...have had those calipers on my "T" for a couple of years now...

Brian Weavy carries them... www.gbodyparts.com

you can also get them here: http://racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=92

or you can get the DOT approved lines made by Russell:
search www.summitracing.com for part number RUS-692100

quick question, how do you guys like the SSBC force 10 calipers? Thinkin' about them for my Cutlass. Don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering if they are worth it or not... can just PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Well what I ment was you have to literally fight with the brake lines to get them to form an "S" , one side of the gbody brake lines has an indent, this is the side that normally sits against the caliper. To sit flush on the force 10's you must turn them backwards so the flat side is flush to the caliper. This creates an "S" bend. It would probably last a long time like that but eventually I think it will give, Anyway I don't trust it. But after your comments I must say I feel better about it and may just leave it be for now.

I could have done the same by shaving off some of the calipers and for a split second that option crossed my mind, but Ill be damn'd if I am going to carve up a set of $400 calipers for a 20 year old set of crappy GM stock rims. Then again it seems the less stock stuff you have on these cars the better off you are. With the Craiger Kystones you can see the calipers and slotted rotors clear as day. Looks awesome....Also have 15 x 8's so it brings the tire out to the fender, almost flush, combine that with the refurbed stock rims modded to 15 x 10's I got from Gbody holding 15x12.5x28's the car looks like the monster it is.

In answer to your question the force 10's are literally a bolt on replacement, if our rim's weren't crap I would have been able to put on the set in under an hour....also look fantastic, and give you dual pistons. Definately a cost effective upgrade.