Brake Leak After Replacing Caliper... Please Help

thepremier

Hello everybody,

Just need help in figuring out why I have a brake on my front passenger side after taking off caliper and putting it back on... I put it back on just how it took it off so I'm not sure exactly why there is leakage where the caliper and the brake line meet. The washers are in the correct places, can anybody help me out with this??

It's frustrating the hell out of me at this point!!

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

maybe you didn't tighten it enough? i know my Baers use copper crush washers .... which need crushing... i forgot what the stockers used....

Wow I thought I tightened it super tight... I will go try again, but I'm not sire if it can get any tighter.

Also make sure both washers are there. One goes on top by the bolt and the other goes between the caliper and the line. Some times when people change calipers the lower washer gets stuck on the old caliper.

Steve

Yeah I did make sure both washers were in place, and there still seems to be a leak where the caliper and brake line meet...

Did you use new copper washers or did you reuse them. Also did you make sure you lined up the hole in the Banjo bolt so the brake fluid makes it into the caliper.

The copper washers harden over time. To soften (anneal) heat them to a dull red and dunk them in water. Can use a propane torch or even a gas range to heat them. Just don't melt them.

Once annealed be careful with them as they will be really soft and easily bent.

RemoveBeforeFlight

BTDT w/ new calipers,[not rebuilts], new hoses, new washers, new bolts....Used all at the same time.
Ended up putting a long wrench on the bolt, and pushing on it w/ my foot.

As for positioning the hole so the fluid goes to the caliper: My hoses have a groove in the ID of the banjo end. No need to clock anything.

I put remans on one of my cars once and had the same problem. I took it back off and found a dig where the washer went i wound up getting another cliper. Maybe you can check for that if they are remans.

I would not use the old copper washers as they already have been crushed and seated. Use the new ones and like stated earlier, make sure you have both washers in place. You have to put some effort into actually getting these seated and crushed so a torque wrench comes in handy.

I just did mine and after an initial torque down, they leaked. Torque them down a little bit at a time and pump the pedal in between until you have no more leak.

+2 on the damaged seating surface on the reman caliper. Had to exchange to stop leak.