Brake job opinion on rotors

WakkoSS

43k miles on my car, front brakes are squealing. Should I just turn the rotors (if they're turnable) or replace them with S10 cross drilled from Whitney's? It's a low 12 second car.

These cars can use all the help they can get when it comes to braking. Especially at the end of some the tracks. I think it is a good upgrade for the $$.

I like slotted rotors better as well. The cross drilled ones are prone to cracking around the holes.

Cut them and use new pads, GM or Performance Friction.

They should be good for about 90K-110K.

Unless they are all grooved up bad. :(

There are no grooves, but stopping from 100+ MPH is a joke, quite naturally. I just didn't want to spend the money on better rotors if they didn't help, and I didn't want to NOT get them if they do. Good feedback on the drilled ones. Those of you with slotted...do you burn through pads faster?

I was going to go SSBC for rotors and calipers, until I found rotors for 1/2 price somewhere else, so now I am looking for the same deal on some calipers.

No problem with the rear wheels locking up. I have 275/40/17's in the rear.

Your squealing problem is with the pads and not the rotors. Change the type of pads when you upgrade the rotors. Performance Frictions are good but make a lot of dust. The semi metallics usually are the ones that make noise. Since I dont do to much racing with mine anymore I have gone back with OEM GM replacements. Expensive but they are quite and dont make to much dust. GM part number 18026296 Delco 171-616. Oh and I never recommend turning the rotors.

Eric Fisher

I just replaced my rotors and pads recently and was VERY sceptical on using cross drilled rotors. A friend pointed out some NAPA rotors that were slotted and cross drilled and he had used them for 2 years with no problems. I looked at his rotors and there was no cracking. I bought the rotors from NAPA for about $150 for the pair (or something around there.) They are a replacement for a diesel but I'm not sure exactly what. I used Raybestos brute stop brake pads. I couldn't be happier. The car stops on a dime now and it isn't as scary at the end of the track running 130 MPH. No cracking. To stop squeaky brakes make sure to use the shims on the back of the pads and brake adhesive.

Kev :)

Why do you not recommend turning the rotors? They're not warped, but they're heavily glazed after years of hard service. I have no idea what pads are on the car now, but they throw off a tremendous amount of dust.

Shawn, those diamond slotted rotors are PRICEY! Those calipers are sweet, but they're $395 for the pair?

SP rotors are $159 for the pair.

My brakes squeal all the time, not just when stopping. And my rotors are both warped and cracked.

I heard that the Raybestos "QuietStop; Non-Ferrous Ceramic " pads were the least dusy.

OOOoh, $159 isn't bad at all. Do you know what shipping is? Those diamond ones look sweet...might have to gank your idea. :D

Free shipping.

I am trying to do a "bolt on" up upgrade for the rotors and calipers so that I don't have to mess with the spindles and a-arms that are required for the 12" set up.

Word is you need to do the rotors and pads at the same time.

Perfomance Friction pads from Autozone around $40 on stock 80k mile unturned rotors works great for me. You can replace the calipers with trade-in real cheap, around $30, and get new brake lines also. Eventually if you want to upgrade the rotors, the Powerslot looks good. You might want to pull the stock rotors off and replace the bearings and races also.

You can turn the rotors if you wanna...up to you. They will work fine. I noticed that the upgraded rotors stopped the car a HELL of a lot easier going 130 through the traps though. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by kevans
I just replaced my rotors and pads recently and was VERY sceptical on using cross drilled rotors. A friend pointed out some NAPA rotors that were slotted and cross drilled and he had used them for 2 years with no problems. I looked at his rotors and there was no cracking. I bought the rotors from NAPA for about $150 for the pair (or something around there.) They are a replacement for a diesel but I'm not sure exactly what. I used Raybestos brute stop brake pads. I couldn't be happier. The car stops on a dime now and it isn't as scary at the end of the track running 130 MPH. No cracking. To stop squeaky brakes make sure to use the shims on the back of the pads and brake adhesive.

KEVIN-
Those are the same exact NAPA brake rotors i have on my sage green car, and my dads WE4-
both cars have the stock replacement rear brakes,and i will go out and say each car stops AT LEAST 25-30 feet shorter than they did before the brake job!!!

we havent done any back to back to back 130 MPH slow downs, but the plenty of 100MPH to 25MPH slowdowns, and no brake fade whats so ever :)
we opted for the low dust ceramic pads,and the T wheels do not get dirty at all:cool:

if napa would do group purchases on these pads and rotors, i would have all my friends get them because they work great!

i can take some pics of the rotors on the cars if anyone wants one or two...
BW