Brake diagnostic?

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hi I am currently experiencing a hard brake pedal about 30% of the time. Just found out a couple days ago that my brake idiot light bulb was out and replaced it today. The brake light turns on for a second or two when I first apply the pedal each time. I haven't had a hard pedal yet since replacing the bulb so don't know for if the light will act different under a hard pedal yet. I was hoping it was just dirty fluid, but I prob won't be so lucky. Think it might be the Acc ball? I pray it isn't the whole system going bad. Don't have the money for all that. What else can I do to further figure out what is wrong? I tried listening for the PM motor or whatever but between all the noise that goes on under the hood I can't really hear anything besides my Alternator or belt wining in my ear. If you couldn't tell I don't do my own work by the way. I'd be hard pressed to find a screwdriver in this house... lol :redface: By the way when I do get a hard pedal it isn't so hard that I have to mash both feet or anything but pretty much got to use 80% of my power in one leg and I'm a big guy. If it matters any when I power on the ignition without starting the car the brake idiot light does not come on. Thanks in advance for any help.

With the ...

ignition "off", pump the brake pedal at least 10 times to release pressure.
Turn the key back on and run to the engine compartment top and place your hand on the b/resiviour, if you can't hear it youwill be able to feel the vibration. If the switch diaphram is bad, it usually will leak or spray when you break. If the accumulator is leaking, the pump motor will usually run too often.
I haven't worked on one of these in several years, but I'm not sure if the bulb effects the pump performance. Someone else may chime in. Hope this helps!?

I'd have to agree on the ball. If it is leaking pressure, you will not be able to keep it in the psi window the system needs in order to function properly for very long, hence the pedal and brake light issue. Your pump is probably running every time you use the brakes when it should only need to every 2-3 regular uses of the brakes.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The ball seems pretty pricy. I'm wondering if I should spend the $180 on a ball or just replace the system with Vacuum or hydroboost? Someone is selling a vaccuum setup that is used for cheap. Hydrobost don't seem expensive either. What would you guys do in my situation and why? Also going to add a new thread asking about the pros and cons of the 3 systems so feel free to chime in there if you'd like. Thanks again.

I went with a hydratech hydroboost. They are a little pricey but it's a brand new system and has a reserve accumulator.