Brake accumulator failing?

edub01

When i turn on the ignition, the powermaster pump runs for about 10 seconds and the brake pedal goes all the down to the floor. The brakes failed when i was driving it home after being in storage for 5 years. Is this possibly the accumulator?

I would lean toward the master cylinder leaking internally based on your description. It could also be the accumulator since they do not like to sit idle for as long as yours has. I am still betting on the mc.

well when the egntion is off and i pump the pedal, it becomes firm. the problem is when the pump motor turns on.

EDU - My suggestion is go with a Vacum or Hydro converstion.

Unless you have a show car or need to have it 100% stock.

With the powermonsters you will be chasing the dragon! not to mention $$

yes i was leaning towards converting to vacuum.

Its easy! Some guys here in the parts for sale section have them.

or Get a pedal & setup out of a Monte SS.

I nearly killed myself & family twice. Changed the switch, then the ACCUM. I finally gave up after spending big bucks for a complete system only to have that fail 1 year later.

I tried vacuum & was unhappy with it. Installed an 85 hydroboost & it works great. I spent a lot of $, however, I see threads on this board indicating less than $300.

I tried vacuum & was unhappy with it. Installed an 85 hydroboost & it works great. I spent a lot of $, however, I see threads on this board indicating less than $300.

That's about what mine was. I waited for a 30% off / free shipping sale through Advance Auto. Prices on the reman parts vary wildly.

I had:
$252 in the booster, MC, pressure hoses
$15 for return hose, clamps and T
$6 for brake fluid
$3 for power steering fluid
$8 for mc bench bleed kit
$20 for 4 Russell speed bleeder screws
$16 for two new rear wheel cylinders

so, about $320

I tried vacuum & was unhappy with it......

With 1000's of T-R's converted to vacuum brakes successfully over the years, you either had bad parts, of did something wrong? :confused:

Personally, with the 100's I have done, ALL have been an improvement over the Powermaster. :cool: