braided lines

nu2gn

fasteddie
I want to do braided transmission cooler lines on my car, any suggestions? Where to get them.

Someone on here was making them with quick couplers. That was a while ago.the same guy was making fuel lines also

i made my own with fittings from earl`s i see tr custom parts used some with a press fit fitting i dident think oil pressure was realy that high in the trans cooler lines should i upgrade them?

I wouldn't worry, cooler line pressure isn't that high compared to internal Trans Line pressure.

Crimp/Press fittings are required on high pressure lines such as Brake, Power Steering Pr. side & Hydraulic hoses, Teflon lining is used on these as well.

earl sells power steerin AN fittings as well but i also noticed that only one of the hoses on the power steering had crimp fittings the other one was just pushed on no hose clamp nuthin on the steering box end

Yeah, the Pr./Pressure side uses the crimp fittings, the suction/return side has very little pressure.

I was looking for the same thing PLUS AN lines to the oil cooler.

Any suggestions on the oil cooler lines?

FWIW...I ran braided lines to/from my external B&M trans cooler using -6AN lines. I chose this route to avoid the constant leaks I was experiencing from splicing hard steel lines. I know the braided hose is not necessary for the pressures. However, this way I don't have to worry about leaks every time the transmission comes out for freshening. Plus, its relatively cheap if you already have some braided hose lying around from other projects (i.e. fuel lines). Just my opinion:cool:

I have tested several trans and converters with hoses to the coolers.
The system I used that worked for me on a pretty much stock engine and 200 4R was Parker 801-Plus (-6 size) with push lok fittings. I used radiator clamps to additionally secure the hose to the fittings. Required by some sanctioning bodies.
The reason for my post is to caution users to know what your trans out to cooler pressures and temps are.
On a 820 rwhp, 3950# car, PI 3400 measured stall, 5-disc converter, 200 4R, in tank OEM cooler; I logged 125psi out pressure and a max oil temp of 245*F and 2.2 gpm at the strip. 801-Plus hose is near this as max specs go. Logging was pressure transducers, thermocouples and electro-magnetic flow meter. The trans was a highly modified full manual unit. On the 801-Plus look for flexibility and color change. Note that the SS braided hose has higher specs than the 801.
On my pro mod, glide trans car. I found the SS braided trans out hose had melted the braid impression into a plastic hose bracket. I put the instrumentation on the car; the results were a surprise. The converter builder was also surprised. The pressure out was 150 psi and 340*F oil to the coolers. I now use AN-8 teflon lined SS braided hose to the coolers, and SS braided on the return. Most suppliers have these products.
Another good reason to use synthetic fluids.
I changed converter builders; now, I have 290*F output oil temp. Also quicker.

good info, however is there really a need for a -8 over the -6. The holes coming out of the 200 are pretty small and seem even small then a -6 to me.

you got part #'s for the fittings for the -8 on the trans?

The 200 4R are usually 1/4" NPT. Some are a port thread and you can carefully thread a 1/4 NPT into it. The AN -8 can be used on the 200 4R. I have not measured the effect vs AN -6. I don't believe AN -8 would be necessary. Wouldn't hurt anything.
On the 200 4R, use a 45* 1/4" adapter fitting. Jegs #555-100124 is 1/4 NPT to AN -6. Jegs #555-100125 is 1/4 NPT to AN -8. Both are male 45*; point out towards the right front fender. Insulate the hose if it is near your exhaust. Hose wraps are common items.

I was looking for the same thing PLUS AN lines to the oil cooler.

Any suggestions on the oil cooler lines?

When I did mine, I used -10 line. Its pretty big. The lines, cooler itself; and bigger oil filter added over a 1 quart increase in capacity to my car!

Going to redo it again soon. Just gonna modify whats there and trim the lines some.

Also got some -6 for the trans lines.

Anybody know what the thread size is in the 200 case for the cooler lines?