braided ground strap

timdesu2000

Can someone tell me where the proper location is for the braided ground strap thats on the firewall near the wiper motor attachment to the engine is? I found mine just hanging behind the engine.
Thanks,
Tim

There are several. One goes on the back of the head. The other mounts to the coil pack bracket.

ks

My car ran like crap when that braided line was accidentally left off of the bell housing bolt. Reattached it and all was well again. I tried attaching it to the top of the intake but that didn't help.

really? That is where mine is attached to. the back intake bolt.

I wonder if this is my issue? I’ll change it to the head this weekend.

I don’t have much hope but anything is worth a shot.

I’ve changed so many things i almost don’t know what’s left to change.

D

The battery ground goes right to the engine block. That makes the engine the main ground for the entire system. Any straps from the engine block to body make body ground better. Anywhere on the motor will do. As long as it's metal or aluminum.

Rick

that strap was originally intended to run from firewall to the top driverside bolt of the transmission belhousing using the 3/8 bolt that hold the trans to block

cant hurt to add more grounds to insure the ignition module is grounded , i run a strap to the stud at underside of ignition module

oh and the main battery ground doesnt go to the block
it goes to the front of the passenger head . the other engine harness grounds are connected to the back of the passenger head

the other engine harness grounds are connected to the back of the passenger head

Mine are connected to the intake. That is how I’ve always seen then connected.

I’ll try connecting them to the head.

Don’t mean to hijack this thread.

D

Mine are connected to the intake. That is how I’ve always seen then connected.

I’ll try connecting them to the head.

Don’t mean to hijack this thread.

D

at the intake bolt (to head ) is same as at the back , the bolts go into the same head as the main battery ground
always a good idea to check the continuity of any ground connection with an ohm meter from point to battery negitive

The battery ground goes right to the engine block. That makes the engine the main ground for the entire system. Any straps from the engine block to body make body ground better. Anywhere on the motor will do. As long as it's metal or aluminum.

Rick
Aluminum isn't metal??

at the intake bolt (to head ) is same as at the back , the bolts go into the same head as the main battery ground
always a good idea to check the continuity of any ground connection with an ohm meter from point to battery negitive
I wouldn't advise loosening an intake bolt to the head. Could cause a vacuum leak. I would just put the ground strap back onto the bell housing bolt where it belongs. But I could be wrong.

you can swap bolts you can swap the one for the engine hook or the egr solenoid those are stud headed and install it at the rear passenger side
then you have a stud to bolt the ground to
the egr one uses a 13mm nut (M8) , the hook uses a 15mm nut (M10)

Holy smokes! The block is not grounded? You guy's better go run some more ground straps. o_O

Thanks for the replys. For a quick fix I put the ground on the coil bracket but Im guessing it was left off when he trans was removed last year. I will install it back to the transmission bell housing bolt when I get a chance.