BOV/driving habit theory

No flame intended: A cnc housing, a spring, a diaphram, and a valve of some sort, sell it for 350 and there isnt a profit? Turbonetics could sell one for 500 bucks and people would buy it.

I think BOV's are more engineered for the manual tranny guys than for the auto guys, because when you shift between gears it keeps the turbo spinning other than slowing down from the compressor surging. But then again if you are concerned with reliability go ahead and get one for your peice of mind.

jusy my .02

Originally posted by Trbobuick
No flame intended: A cnc housing, a spring, a diaphram, and a valve of some sort, sell it for 350 and there isnt a profit? Turbonetics could sell one for 500 bucks and people would buy it.

Sure, but that just means the manufacturer would make a bundle. The vendor would not make nearly as much. Usually if there is a profit in a product, they will sell it, wouldnt you? (assuming its a legit item) I was just kidding, anyway. Sorry this ended up distracting from the original question, Corey.

Originally posted by colby
I think BOV's are more engineered for the manual tranny guys than for the auto guys, because when you shift between gears it keeps the turbo spinning other than slowing down from the compressor surging. But then again if you are concerned with reliability go ahead and get one for your peice of mind.

jusy my .02
I agree, with a manual you have many more times the compressor surge (on and off throttle for shifts) than an auto car would have. It also helps to keep spooled by not allowing the compressor surge to totally stop the spinning of the blades between the shifts.

I use a 1st gen Eclipse BOV thats been crushed.... its good for about 25psi or so..... works like a charm... no turbo gobble anymore... just a subtle whoosh....:D $50 for the BOV, had it bolted to an exhaust flange and that was welded to my up-pipe.... $50 for the flange/welding

thts what im talking about getting. something for cheap insurance and peace of mind. BTW, what do you mean by saying it can hold more boost by crashing it. ive never heard of this.

hahaha Red. i actually tried to get my friend to get one of those for his stock civic so everyone would think its turbo. he doesnt care about modding his car though.

The 1st gen Eclipse BOV can be crushed, as in put in a vice and crushed to a certain point. This increases the 'holding' capacity. I think stock untouched 1st gen BOV are good for 18-20 or so psi, and if they are crushed it increases. It needs to be done a cetain way, but i hear it isn't rockect science.

btw clean86, my comment wasn't aimed at you... just had ebay on my mind when I made the comment.

On a related side note for those of you using them. Do you vent it or put the blow off back on the inlet side?

I just go open atmosphere.... the car didn't have a BOV stock, so I don't see how it would know the difference......

IIRC, bruce said something once about some kind of enrichment when the gas is suddenly let off of and this can make the engine die by drowning it out but im not sure exactly what he means but thats why he said to run it back into the intake after the MAF since its already been metered.

The first GN I bought has one. Yeah the sound is cool, however the diapham is busted and I can't seem to find any parts for the F*&^% thing. :mad: I have one welded on the up-pipe from the IC.

It is a Turbonectics but I don't see it in their catalog. So I guess I'll just have to the plug the damn, thing.:mad:

Some people don't like turbo stutter;
bottom line here is that our cars don't need them or the headache when the damn thing doesn't work right.

wel im trying to figure out how i am going to mount a blowoff valve on my hot air....And i dont want one becuse of sound i know what compressor surge does to the compressor blades.But my problem isnt me letting of its my throttle closing on its own on the 2-3 shift at 18psi and causing my boost to fall of line for a second. I cringe every time i hear it. It sounds like i have a blow off valve but i know better. It pretty bad when your racing and the guy next to you says you blowoff valve sounds nice what kind are you using? That's when you see that look of horror on their face when you tell them you dont have one.Well if i dont get the problem fixed we shall see how long this turbo lives....i dont think ill be taking it past 18 psi untell i get the problem fixed.

"But my problem isnt me letting of its my throttle closing on its own on the 2-3 shift at 18psi and causing my boost to fall of line for a second"--------------How does your throttle close by itself when your on the gas?