Bought a new turbo vehicle

Quick question....once a Chevy truck has the "2500" distinction, does that mean it is 3/4 ton?

Originally posted by Epitome
Quick question....once a Chevy truck has the "2500" distinction, does that mean it is 3/4 ton?

yes.

1500 = 1/2 ton
2500 = 3/4 ton
3500 = 1 ton

won't go into the addtion of the 1500HD or 2500HD or the difference between the 6 and 8 lug pre-99 2500s.

Good choice! I factory ordered a 2003 GMC 3500HD D/A yesterday with every option but leather (was actually hard to configure). I have a 2001 GMC 1500HD which was brilliant when we towed the Syclone in an enclosed car hauler (~8000 lbs) to Chicago for the Nats last year. But I think the new 32' dual slide out fifth wheel would have been a challenge. ;)

Check out The Diesel Page . You're only an exhaust, air filter, and Juice Box (chip) away from 335 RWHP and 655 ftlbs torque. It should be a fun Summer. I'll race the GN and the wife can roast some rice in the dually in the Street class. :cool:

"won't go into the addtion of the 1500HD or 2500HD or the difference between the 6 and 8 lug pre-99 2500s."

Would you please go into these differences? I am considering buying a 95 Silverado Pickup (non vortech, but new interior). I have always thought I had to use a 3/4 ton truck to tow my car on an open trailer, what is the 1500 HD? Thanks :)

Also the differences between the 6 and 8 lug would be appreciated.

In a nutshell, the 1500HD is a heavy duty drivetrain on a lighter duty chassis. Go down to the dealer and look under the rear wheel well and compare the frames on a "true HD" (2500HD/3500). You'll see that the 2500HDs frame is a lot beefier than the 1500HDs. The 1500HDs is more comparable to the Super Duty's.

The 1500HD is only available in a crew cab with the 6.0 liter engine. Depending on the rear end it can tow up to 9200 lbs I believe it is.

Oh yeah. Basically, a 1500HD is a 3/4 ton and a 2500HD is a one ton. HTH.

pre-99 2500s came in two 'basic' (for lack of a better term) versions, 6 lug and 8 lug.

and from what i've seen you can only get the big block (454/7.4L) on the 2500's with 8 lug axles. the 8 lug setups are kind of like the "HD" of their time. the 6 lug 2500's are basicly a more light duty 2500 the brakes are the same as what comes on a 1500 series truck. so when i went looking to upgrade from the 1/2 ton i had i made sure to find any 8 lug K2500. bigger brakes, stiffer chassis, bigger motor.

this may not be true for every single one out there, but thats the way ever thing i looked at worked out (8 lug BBC) (6 lug SBC).

if you want i can get some pictures of my K2500's brakes and some pictures of my old 1500's brakes so you can see why i was dead set on the 8 lug axles.

I'm probably going to buy small block, not big block. Are you saying that even the pre99 3/4 ton 2500s are all going to be 6 lug? That would be disappointing.

Epitome you dont have to worry about the "HD" series because that didnt start until 2000 or 2001.

If anyone is interested I have a 1995 1 ton crew cab dually for sale, perfect interior :cool:

It is a big block. I would never have a 1 ton with a small block, as the truck weighs 7000#. Thats too much to ask of a SBC for every day use

Originally posted by 87gn-newbee
A 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 w/the Duramax:D This truck is sweet.
Dan
87gn-newbee,
I'm about to buy the listed truck below if they can find one exactly outfitted like this before the end of the month. I plan on pulling an 11,000lb. (dry wt.) 5th wheel with it along with my Four Winns boat and cars on occasion. This isn't what I'll be paying for it. Give me your input:

2003 CHEVROLET Silverado 2500HD
Crew Cab Short Box 4WD LT

MSRP : $46,868.00

DK GRAY METALLIC
DARK CHARCOAL TRIM

STANDARD EQUIPMENT GROUP
• Vortec 6000 V8 engine with 300 horsepower
• Four-speed automatic overdrive transmission with Tow/Haul mode
• Battery-rundown protection
• Electronic shift, 2-speed transfer case
• Driver and front-passenger air bags with passenger air bag deactivation switch(1)
• Four-wheel disc antilock brakes
• OnStar(2)
• Cruise control
• Integrated 6-disc CD changer (UC6)
• Front air bags for driver and right front passenger(1)
• Bose Sound System with 8 speakers, Bose amplifier and Bose subwoofer
• Daytime Running Lamps with Automatic Exterior Lamp Control
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel
• PASSlock theft-deterrent system
• Rear 60/40 flat folding, 3-passenger bench seat
• Dual-zone automatic climate control
• Remote Keyless Entry with content theft alarm
• Tilt-Wheel steering column
• Heated front bucket seats with Custom Leather seating surfaces
• Power windows and door locks with lockout protection
• Electrochromic rearview mirror with compass and outside temperature
• Mini overhead console with lights and storage
• Driver Information Center
• 16-inch polished, forged-aluminum wheels
• Front fog lamps

COLOR
Exterior:
DK GRAY METALLIC

Interior:
DARK CHARCOAL TRIM

OPTIONS

LT DECOR INCLUDES: * AIR COND, DUAL ZONE AUTOMATIC * ISRV MIRROR W/COMPASS & TEMP * OSRV MIRRORS W/DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING, PWR FOLD & ADJ. HEAT, TILT & TURN SIGNAL * REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER * DEEP TINT GLASS * AUTOTRAC ACTIVE TRANSFER CASE * FRONT FOG LAMPS * AM/FM STEREO W/6-DISC CD CHANGER & BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM * ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL * POWER LOCKS & WINDOWS * REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY WITH CONTENT THEFT ALARM * LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHL * POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS * BODY SIDE MOLDINGS * ONSTAR COMMUNICA
$0.00

DARK CHARCOAL TRIM
$0.00

DK GRAY METALLIC
$0.00

HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION
$0.00

COLOR-KEYED CARPET
$0.00

AIR COND., DUAL ZONE AUTOMATIC
$0.00

AM/FM STEREO W/6-DISC CD CHANGER & BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM
$0.00

SIX-WAY POWER DRIVER SEAT
$0.00

FRONT BUCKETS WITH POWER ADJ.
$0.00

SPARE TIRE LOCK
$15.00

C49 - Defogger, Rear Window, Electric
$0.00

AU3 - Power Door Locks
$0.00

REDUNDANT RADIO CONTROLS
$0.00

SOLID PAINT
$0.00

OSRV RETRACTABLE CAMPER STYLE POWER MIRRORS W/TURN SIGNAL AND HEAT $55.00

WHEEL OPENING FLARES
$0.00

BRIGHT BODY SIDE MOLDINGS
$0.00

DEEP TINTED GLASS
$0.00

POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
$0.00

LT245/75R16/E ALS BW TIRES
$0.00

CHROME REAR STEP BUMPER
$0.00

FRONT FOG LAMPS
$0.00

ROOF MARKER LAMPS $55.00

REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO
$0.00

HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER
$0.00

ALLISON 5 SPD AUTOMATIC TRANS $1,200.00

K05 - Engine Block Heater
$0.00

ELECTRONIC SHIFT TRANSFER CASE
$0.00

TRAILERING SPECIAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDES: * TRAILER HITCH PLATFORM * TRAILER WIRE CONNECTOR * HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER
$215.00

GVW RATING - 9,200 LBS
$0.00

DURAMAX DIESEL 6600 V8 ENGINE $5,010.00

G80 - Locking Differential, Rear $295.00

CRUISE CONTROL
$0.00

HD AUX TRANSMISSION COOLING SYS
$0.00

CAMPER/5TH WHEEL TRAILER WIRING PROVISIONS
$35.00

UE1 - OnStar Communication System
$0.00

Originally posted by Epitome
I'm probably going to buy small block, not big block. Are you saying that even the pre99 3/4 ton 2500s are all going to be 6 lug? That would be disappointing.

i'm not saying all pre-99 2500's are 6 lug, but every 8 lug version i looked at had a big block or the diesel.

both my 1995 K2500 Silverado has the 7.4L
my dad's 1997 GMC K2500 also has the 7.4L. both have 8 lug axles.

Dean that truck lists for around 46,000 Cdn up here....about 31K US. BTW, can't you get a DVD entertainment center down there? You have pretty much everything else ticked off. The DVD is nice.

Don't need any type of entertainment system for the back. The only travellers riding back there are 2 dogs.

duramax

if ya want to zip it up a little well a whole lot give dad a call e mail me for # he just got an 03 3500 crew cab dually made one upgrade purchase under $1000 and this truck rocks hes getting like 29 mpg on the highway and it will smoke the tires off the truck he came by and picked me up the other day I still cant believe it . later all bret rudbeck

TTA1233 you will be well over the towing capacity of a 2500HD with that fifth wheel and boat trailer. For that you should have nothing less than a dually 1 ton.

Bed Liner?

Any suggestions on the best type of bed liner? I'm inclined to get the durable spray on stuff but heard from 1 person that it softens and gets a little tacky in direct sunlight. This makes sense since it's black and will get very hot.

I bought the LS optioned truck but it has evrything but leather and the on-star plus it's an extended cab not crew. I plan on getting a few goodies like the chip from Edge Performance 90 horses 120lbs torque and exhaust but that's way down the road. The wife would kill me if I tried to buy the parts now:) As far as bed liner I'm going with rhino or simular they work good and mine never got tacky in the sun on my old truck and I was living in HI. I'm super happy with this truck and might try swapping the pro pain from the car and put it in the truck;)
Dan

Re: Bed Liner?

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Any suggestions on the best type of bed liner? I'm inclined to get the durable spray on stuff but heard from 1 person that it softens and gets a little tacky in direct sunlight. This makes sense since it's black and will get very hot.

Had it for many years and it never got tacky. Dont have a brand name tho