Boring an 012 block

95' regal gs

Anyone know how large you can go on the bore size of an 012 off center 3.8 stage II block? Can you take them out to 4.1 4.00in bores?

Ill guess at this. You have about a 2% chance that you could do that. A 3.8 block is made to have a 3.800 bore with say around .200 thick cylinder walls , when you bore it .200 then the cylinder walls are down to .100 thick and thats not enough. However there were a few 3.8 blocks (badges and part numbers) that were actually 4.1 castings with much heavier cylinder walls. Have it sonic checked and talk it over with your engine builder. Mike

Ill guess at this. You have about a 2% chance that you could do that. A 3.8 block is made to have a 3.800 bore with say around .200 thick cylinder walls , when you bore it .200 then the cylinder walls are down to .100 thick and thats not enough. However there were a few 3.8 blocks (badges and part numbers) that were actually 4.1 castings with much heavier cylinder walls. Have it sonic checked and talk it over with your engine builder. Mike

+1

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure if a 3.8 stage II was simply a 4.1 with thicker cylinder walls to get the smaller bores.

Just to clarify---I see it posted alll the time---4.1 standard bore is NOT 4.00 in. but 3.965

You know, I think I knew that, somewhere rattling around in my head. Thanks for the clarification though, now I won't forget again... wait what were we talking about? Oh yeah, where'd I leave my beer?:D