Boosting problem!

I have my car running around 17 psi, but occasionally the boost will creep up to almost 20 psi. It usually only happens when im near the top of first and i always let off as soon as i see it. It seems to happen about one in five times that i get on it at low speeds.

Im using the actuator from my stock turbo on my ta 49 now. And im not sure if it is the original from the stock turbo or aftermarket.

What boost controller are you using? Or are you just using the stock old accuator rod?

An aftermarket turbo will react differently from a stock turbo. Their more efficent and make power at different rpms etc. The stock rod may not be the best way of doing it. I would probaly find a really well made Boost controller if you don't already have one.

its turbo time said:
im using the old threaded actuator rod without any other type of boost controller.
Are you using the factory wastegate solenoid? If you're running tuner style....hose going straight from the scroll to the wastegate diaphragm, its gunna take ALOT of spring force to get the boost you want, which is hard on the diaphragm, and its going to spool slow. You need a real boost controller, like the RJC one, or make your own from a 0-30psi air pressure regulator. With the regulator, I barely have to adjust any wastegate tension at all. Like 2 turns after the point where the wategate rod slips right on the puck arm. Plus it spools REAL quick. Mine goes from the scroll to the factory Y fitting, one hose from there goes to the pressure regulator and the other to the diaphragm. Ive tried many setups and Im really happy with the current setup. Once you have a good setup like that, then I would start chasing the spike issue. With boost CREEP (gradually rises higher than it should in high gear), then open up the puck hole. If you have boost SPIKE (where it immediately jumps higher than it should than comes back down to where it should, then get a tiny drill bit from mcmaster.com, and start gradually opening up the restrictor hole in the Y fitting.

thanks for the info, i appreciate it, where is the best place to get an air pressure regulator? and do you run your controller inside the cockpit? thanks