Boost sensing harness for DS

Sleeper-6

To go along with that nifty Scanmaster 3, Ii would be great if someone would develop a boost sensing harness that could be read through Direct Scan. Lots of us info junkies still use Direct Scan instead of Turbo Link.

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
To go along with that nifty Scanmaster 3, Ii would be great if someone would develop a boost sensing harness that could be read through Direct Scan. Lots of us info junkies still use Direct Scan instead of Turbo Link.

I agree 100%....just got my DS hooked up and running..

HOW

if you run the me-r their is a way to input data from the 3 bar and read boost.i havent figured it out yet but i know guys that are doing it

The Turbolink harness will read boost into DS. It reads in the IAT table thou. Ken of DS, the last I wrote to him (1+ ago) didn't seem interested in changing his software to read it in PSI.

Re: Re: Boost sensing harness for DS

Originally posted by bruce
The Turbolink harness will read boost into DS. It reads in the IAT table thou. Ken of DS, the last I wrote to him (1+ ago) didn't seem interested in changing his software to read it in PSI.

Bruce,

Am I understanding you that DS will read boost as it comes from the assembly line, or modification required to the software?

TIA,
HOW

Re: Re: Re: Boost sensing harness for DS

Originally posted by HellOnWheels

Am I understanding you that DS will read boost as it comes from the assembly line, or modification required to the software?

Yes, it reads it, but the readings are in IAT values.

To make a long story short, most all the ecm inputs are run though an A/D chip, and it breaks the values into 0-255. So while a 2 bar MAP might read 0 PSI at a given voltage, that same voltage being read on a line that's expecting an IAT value, might read 60d F.

It is possible for Ken to replace the IAT values with those that would allow for reading boost using a TurboLink boost sensing harness.

Lacking the software, you can just record what the IATs are relative to PSI, and go that way. If you knew say 110dF was 7 PSI, then you could work out what the log was saying.

OK, So there's a lead on half the battle. Now I'm guessing that the programing in the Direct Scan is legally protected? Could someone come up with an upgrade for Direct Scan that could be installed after the fact, or must it be done through Ken?

OK, So there's a lead on half the battle. Now I'm guessing that the programing in the Direct Scan is legally protected? Could someone come up with an upgrade for Direct Scan that could be installed after the fact, or must it be done through Ken?

It's a little bit more then *just*.
The IAT uses two different pull-ups resistors, for better temp reading. So the math gets pretty complex.

If anyone was really interested in doing this. They'd need to search the net for the voltage to K/Pa readings from a 2 or 3 Bar Map. Then built a simple variable resistor, to tie into a boost sensing cable. Then monitor what temp reading corresponds to what MAP voltage. Then you can correlate MAT temp to actual Boost.

Just get the boost sensing harness from Turbolink and a 3 bar map sensor. Then, plumb together a boost gauge, the map sensor, and a bicycle tire pump, and with the key on, engine not running, with ds running, make your own conversion table of psi versus MAT as displayed by ds. Record the MAT value every 5 psi or so of "boost", or maybe more at high boost (say 0, 5, 10 ,15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, and 29 psi). If you want the vacuum portion, replace the tire pump with one of those mity hand vacuum pumps and use a boost gauge that shows vacuum (or just read the vacuum gauge on the mity pump). That will let you log boost, it just won't display it in psi - you will have to use your table to do the conversion but I bet you will get the 20-25 psi portion memorized pretty quickly :). Also, since the MAP sensor is a manifold ABSOLUTE pressure sensor and the boost gauge is referenced to atmospheric pressure, you can see up to maybe plus or minus 0.5 psi difference between your boost gauge and the MAP reading depending on the weather. For fueling, though, the MAP is what you really care about.