Boost problems

Krazed86GN

Well for the last month I haven't been able to get more than 12 pounds of boost in first and 2nd gear. Once it gets to third it will very very slowly rise to around 15. Well I pulled the vacuum hose off the actuator today to test it and got up to 16 pounds really quick so I let off. replaced the old cracked(damn thing fell apart when I was taking it off the actuator) vacuum hose with a new one and it was back to the same ol 12 pounds of boost. Now that I've narrowed it down to this where do I go from here to get back to the days of having boost go past 12 psi?

Anyone? I know there are a lot of posts on the subject but the ones I've read through have ended up being something else. Sucks having some random car pull up next to me and not be able to do anything c uz I only get to 12 pounds of boost and by the time i'm there the other person is already home eating lunch. Much appreciation to anyone who can help me with what to do next.

We need more info to be able to really help diagnose this problem.

Are you still using the factory hoses and have the wastegate solenoid hooked up?
What chip?
Have you checked the rest of your vacuum hoses for further signs of dry rotting?
Does the turbo have an adjustable wastegate actuator, or is it a stock non-adjustable actuator?
Here is a picture showing the proper routing of the factory hoses.

DSC00453.jpg

Do you still have your hoses hooked up like this?
And is the one hose hooked to the left port on the wastegate solenoid as in this picture?

7091.jpg

Let us know.

Patrick

Sorry for the lack of info..

Here we go..the three vacuum hoses are hooked up as in your pic. And yes it does hook up to the left port on the solenoid.

I've gone through months ago and changed out most of the vacuum hoses and the vacuum block.

Using a turbotweak chip.. and the actuator is an adjustable one I put on about 9 months ago.

If I unhook the vacuum hose leading to the actuator boost came on fast and went to 16ish when I let off.. same if I unhook just the hose goin to the solenoid.

If ya need any more info to help then just ask..i tried to answere all your questions as best i know.

When you said you installed an adjustable actuator 9 months ago, did you adjust it so that you could make more than 12 psi?

Have you checked to make sure that there are no leaks in the headers or at the cross over pipe? Any leak before the turbo can cause the symptoms you are reporting. It sounds like your solenoid might be stuck open or sticking and causing the low boost condition.

Seeing as you already have an adjustable wastegate actuator, why not hook it up tuner style? Simply run one hose from the turbo to the wastegate and eliminate any hoses running to the solenoid. Leave the solenoids electrical connector connected tho and see where your boost goes. If it climbs too high, simply lengthen the actuators rod until the desired boost. Make sure you don't lengthen it so far that it actually opens the swing valve when you connect the actuator rod. If the adjustment causes the swing valve to be open, it could cause slow spool up.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Unless your car is BONE stock...I would always ditch the boost solenoid and run a vaccum hose from brass fitting on turbo to actuator (tuner style).

d0N,

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Krazed, but I have a quick question. Why wouldn't you do it tuner style if it's bone stock? Can you do it temporarily to troubleshoot?

RUQ,

I haven't done any testing on the '87 GN yet, been pretty busy lately. I'll keep you posted on my original thread though. :)

I meant some guys won't touch their cars if they are bone stock (low mileage show cars). They want to leave everything the way the factory did it. Other than that...always hook up the turbo tuner style. That's what I meant by bone stock.

d0n,

Ah, alright, I understand what you mean now. Was there a reason Buick didn't do it that way at the factory? Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys..
Ya I adjusted it for more than 12 pounds.. was getting 17 till all this loveliness started.

I hooked it up tuner style last night to see what would happen..shortened the actuator rod so it wouldn' be jumping to 20 psi before I could let off and took it out for a spin. It went right up to 15...now that I have more time today I think i'll shorten the rod and get it back to where it was before.

So since its working fine like this am I to assume that the solenoid was the problem and its not gonna cost me a dime to fix? =)

They gave us the wonderful non adjustable actuators cause they didn't want a bunch of crazy hot rodders turning up the wick and blowing the cars up under warranty. Replacement turbos from GM, over the counter came with adjustable actuators. Go figure... Making one into and adjustable actuator back in the day was a no brainer, however, if your dealerships head mechanic didn't cater to the Turbo Regals, this was a tell tale sign of hot rodding and could have been cause for a void warranty. Luckily, all my friends used Fowler Buick in Jackson and the head man in charge in the Service Department absolutely loved the Turbo Buicks and tended to turn a blind eye to even seriously modded examples.

Patrick

update:

Went out today and hooked a vacuum hose going straight from the turbo to the actuator..take it for a drive and its back to slowly getting to 12. Hooked the hoses back up to stock way for the time being.

So heres how it goes.. stock=12 pounds very slowly
stock but with hose going to actuator pulled off=boost out the azz
stock but with hose going to solenoid pulled off and other two hooked up=18 pounds(got 2.3 KR on the scanmaster so lengthened rod and got 16 though in first boost would stop building between 10-15 and car would feel like it fell on its face..2nd and 3rd pulled all the way up to 16 fine)
and with vaccum hose going straight from turbo to actuator=12 pounds very slowly.

so now im back to being very confused :confused: And of course while Im out testing I get pulled over for the first time in 2 and a half years of owning the car and get a warning for no front liscense plate lol.