boost pressure-vs-cfm

B

Bob Wright

The turbo I currently have has a small turbonetic housing and a 63mm wheel. I was told that it makes great power from 25-35 lbs of boost. It is my understanding that a t63e would make the same kind of power or a little more at 20lbs. of boost because it flows more cfm. Is one more detrimental to the life of an engine than the other (high boost, low cfm/ low boost, high cfm) Please shed some light for me! Thanks, Bob

Welp, it's kinda tough to explain, at least for me, but the bigger turbo flows air alot easier than the small one, so there's less exhaust back pressure, and a lower intake air temp.

there is nothing detrimental to the engine if 1) you can keep the headgaskets down or 2) you do not detonate (this ASSumes the block is capable of handling the desired HP)

in other words, high boost, high cfm, high whatever, will eventually equal high cylinder pressure and that is where the cheese is cut! (or the motor dies)

BOOST??

Bob,

A good piece of info is the Turbonetics catalog. It has compressor maps and a basic description as to the "whys and wherefores" of a turbo choice.
If the engine you are discussing is a stock block, then AZGn's advice is something you should look at real seriously!!;)

AND, if it's a street application, regardless of the strength of the engine components, you'll be FAR short of octane, even w/ alky at 30-35 psi.

I'd suggest you talk to 1 of the turbo suppliers and see what they come with, given the engine you have.