Boost Control Issues

ZMonte85

it's not a GN...
I am having some boost controls issues with my new TR. With the stock setup using the factory Y vacuum fitting and the boost control solenoid I was getting no boost control. I could easily see 25#s under half throttle or so. So I installed an RJC boost controller per their instructions. I have it turned almost all the way out and I can still see 20+ #s of boost. Now is it necessary to make your waste gate actuator linkage adjustable? I popped the linkage off and I had to pull it apporximately 1/8th of an inch to reinstall it, which is what the directions state to have it set at.

I am under the impression that the computer has a chip installed, the previous owner thought that it was possibly the Red Armstrong 93 chip, I haven't had the time to verify that yet however. Could the chip have been reprogrammed to delete the use of the boost control solenoid? The previous owner said he had a boost controller on the engine before he had it rebuilt, but he got it back without one.

I'm somewhat new to the Turbo Buick scene in the sense that I actually have been able to buy one, I've been in love with them for years, so you'll have to excuse any newbie questions I ask.

Thanks for any input.

ZMonte85 said:

The stock actuator I believe had a 10-11# spring, the hd are approx 13-14# (Guess?)

In any event...take the hose off the solenoid, and plug it with a golf tee..bolt what ever fits. Then see where the boost goes...with a stock type spring should be set about 10-12#...
The adjustable you described seems to be properly set....I normally set/pull about 1/2 hole off...if you know what I mean just to get enough tension to keep puck closed.
The shorter the rod length the higher the boost above normal spring pressure.

Chips are programmed to bleed air off solenoid to add a certain amount of boost over the spring pressure.....so if 17# is desired....12# spring & approx 5# bleed off solenoid. Reds 93 chip as far as I know is programmed for 16-17PSI.

I may not have explained it the way I should have, but hope you get my drift on operation?

Joe

I understand what you're saying.

I'm not understanding why I'm not getting any boost control with the controller in line like it should be and it screwed almost all the way out. With it out that far I should be getting very low boost and I can still see well over 20#.

ZMonte85 said:
I understand what you're saying.

I'm not understanding why I'm not getting any boost control with the controller in line like it should be and it screwed almost all the way out. With it out that far,it should be getting very low boost and I can still see well over 20#.
You have too much spring pressure holding the wastgate closed you'll have to lengthen your actuator rod as much as possible.

If you have a hole in the diaphram of the actuator,you'll get an overboost because the wastegate won't be able to open as far. You can check to see if it holds vacume by pulling the actuator rod out and putting your finger over the vacume nipple. The rod shouldn't be able to retract completely. If it does,you have a bad actuator. If you have a hand operated vacume pump,that would be better.

Got the situation figured out tonight. I had an old brittle vacuum line coming off the waste gate actuator. Basically I got rid of that and I bypassed the solenoid and removed the boost controller for the time being and ran the vacuum line from the compressor side straight to the actuator. I now can only get about 17lbs of boost. Seems to me that that would mean I have the heavy duty waste gate actuator installed. I'll probably make the actuator rod adjustable after the holidays.

ZMonte85 said:
I had an old brittle vacuum line coming off the waste gate actuator.
I assumed that since you bought the R.J.C. you also used a new hose. We all know what happens when you assume. Now you can breath easy knowing your motor is safe. Now you can enjoy the car again until the next problem. I hope the next problem never comes.