Bonneville racing the TTA.......

Captain Mark

I'll bet it is a good candidate. It definitely has the aerodynamics. I know the third gen cars are popular for Bonneville.

I know a guy who is racing a Ford 2.3L turbo in a thing shaped like a bullet and is running around 300mph.

Just wondering if anyone has done it, or have ever heard of these cars running at Bonneville. I think it would be fun. The guy told me if you ever went to Bonneville, you would be hooked.

I dont think we would go as fast as we would like. Gale banks had a twin turbo V8 that was like 1200 hp and he ran 200 some thing (250 maybe ??) This was in a 3rd generation TA. Been awhile since I read about it. I was suprized that it didnt run faster than it did with all that power.

Jason

I still haven't figured out the secret to a fast Bonneville car. I asked the guy what kinda rear end he was runningand it was like a ......3.23 I think. Needs to be a high revver though.

I was wondering that same thing. I would love to know what his setup is. Maybe we could email him, give him this link and see if he would post all his mods on here. That would be cool.

I sent him an E-Mail will see what we get.....

I came across your page looking to see what my car would do at Bonneville. I was wondering what mods you have and if at all is any thing still stock??? I’d love to see you post on the Turbo Buick site.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=602016#post602016

thanks,

Eviljay

89 turbo trans am #331 thrasher chip,ta- 49 turbo,atr 2.5 inch downpipe,ported heads,atr cam duttweiler intercooler.

300 MPH T/A

Eviljay I got your email.

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The car is completely in stock trim weighing in at about 5000 lbs. The car still has 95 percent of the original interior, tilt steering wheel, radio (not connected to 12v), and power windows. We have run 2 different size motors so far. One is a 274 C.I. motor that makes around 1500 hp and the 257 C.I. motor makes around 1000+ hp. They are both run with a single Innovative Turbo Systems Turbo. We run an intercooler circulated with ice water and dual waste gates. The trans is a Jerico 4 speed.

The car ran 296 mph exit speed (exit speed at the 5 mile clocks), the 292 was a 2 way average over a timed mile and ran 250 + mph at the first timing clocks between the 2 and 2 1/4 mile. The entire run takes about 90 seconds. The dyno work was done at Duttweiler's shop in Santicoy. We hope to be the first Stock bodied car to run 300MPH in the production class, maybe this year. Also in the works is a 174 C.I. motor with a single turbo.

If you check out my website at www.ybenormal.com we will be carrying a full line of Innovative Turbo Systems parts soon, right now we have a full selection a JAZ racing products. (ybenormal race shop)Email for a parts catalog I'll be happy to send one out.

Post back with any more questions. I'll answer if they’re not top secret. :D

Jeff Carroll

got any vids? desktop sized pics?

whats the tires/rims on there?

Have you guys had any problems with ITS in the past? Ive heard they've grown up since i was working with them.

guess thats it for now lol

Re: 300 MPH T/A

Originally posted by Bonneville T/A

The car is completely in stock trim weighing in at about 5000 lbs.

What did you have to do that added 1500lbs to the car?

Re: Re: 300 MPH T/A

Originally posted by TTA89
What did you have to do that added 1500lbs to the car?

Im thinking saftey equipment... id hate to crash going 300 MPH.. :eek:

The car weighs 5000 lbs. so it won't become a flying T/A. The rear wing creates lift at speed. All the extra weight was added in the form of lead, fastened in a few different places in the car. The car is very stable at 290 plus, we hope it stays that way at 300 MPH.

I don't have a video for the computer yet. I'll post some more pics on our website of the car.

The wheels are BBS three piece rims, the front tires are Goodyear front-runners and the rears are Bonneville designed 27" dia.

We definitely don't have any issues with "ITS". Rick and the whole group are great to deal with.

One more thing: John Rains own the car. Mutual friends introduced John and I to each other at the salt flats in 1996. We both perform about 90 percent of the work on the car and the engine program.

Jeff

Thanks for the info on your great car. Please don't be a stranger around here. Also, as soon as you have more photos/video of the car, please post.:cool: