Bolt Ons???

richburke03

Just picked up a stock 87 GN in mint condition. I would like to start doing some upgrades but I have two questions. 1 will putting bolt on decrease the value of this car? 2 where should I start?

Bolt-ons likely will not have a negative effect on the value of your car as long as things are done right and can be changed back without issue. A good place to start your research is Vortex Buicks. There is lots of good basic info on that site. The first step to modding the car would be take care of the "spring cleaning" items and make sure everything is in good working condition. As far as first mods a K&N type filter to replace the factory air box, a chip upgrade to Turbo Tweak chip and a fuel pump upgrade are great starts. You can get the car into the 12's easily for a few hudred dollars in bolt ons.

Things like an upgraded fuel pump, a free flowing dual exhaust and little things like porting the exhaust Elbow won't hurt the value of your car, unless its a sub 10,000 mile all original car sitting on the original goodyear eagle GT's.

If you are going drive the car at all, tasteful bolt on's won't hurt the value.

If its a 50K+ mile car, mod the crap out of it, even if its Stock and "perfect". There are too many low mile, stock mint cars to worry about keeping a 50K+ car stock and mint. Every time a 25K mile car sells for a seemingly "high price", 5 come out of the woodwork and don't sell for the price the first one did.

For a Great driving musclecar that gets good gas mileage, there still are a surprising amount of low mileage garage queens out there, that were purchased to park in a garage for 20+ years.

Just really depends on what you want from the car. If it were me, I would keep it simple, tasteful, and reliable. But it's your car, you can get as wild as you want with it.

I have had my car five years and I have just started upgrading it .Here is my suggestion before you spend one dime modding it spend your money getting the car mechanically sound . I bought a car with low miles that was never driven . I started driving it an had all types of problems So I bought the parts to set up for this phase . I got a scanmaster, guages , fuel pump all the things to monitor the car , That is almost a grand spent right there . To get alky and bigger turbo with doing these step is just a disater waiting to happen . Get your chip , injectors , 160 thermostat . Build a sound foundation first ,. Then buy the other stuff. Get a lap top and the powerlogger . Know what your car is doing now before you bolt things on

I have a 34K car , Did a burnout and ripped the tire off the rim . It was dry rotting . I had your same dilemna until recently . If you look at most of the cars they have the same mods as what I want to do . At 34 K the changes will not hurt my car and I have kept all the original pieces .. You have to decide why you bought your car . After five years of opening the garage and staring at my stock car . I have decided to enjoy it and go a little faster and drive it .

If you can afford it, leave it alone and buy another one to mod (or one that is already modded) with high miles.

I would leave that one original and find another one to play with. 8400 miles and original tires, keep it pristine for the value.

I agree as well. If you want I'll trade you my non-running, cut up GN and save you time :D
Heck of a find on a serious note. Sub 10k miles doesn't come around too often.

Mine was showing 18,000 and the interior looks the same but I knew it is 118,000 and bought it to DRIVE it. Still took off the stock parts, cleaned them, labeled with date and mileage, then put them away. Never know if I will ever go back to stock but I want to keep it an option.

Mint car mods that are reversible...here is what I would do...
1. Remove the wheels and tires and buy some nice aluminum wheels and tires with the rear being drag radials.
2. Buy a Scanmaster and do the Turbo Buick Spring Cleaning.
3. Use that zinc additive and Brad Penn Oil or something of that sort.
4. Replace the valve springs with the Comp LT1 springs.
5. Remove the stock MAF and air inlet assembly. Install a newer setup like you see all over this board. K&N, LT1 sensor Translator....
6. Turbo Tweak Chip and 60lb or 79lb injector combo. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, new pump, and hotwire kit.
7. Pypes exhaust, and RJC 3inch downpipe and test pipe or dump.

More later...gotta go do some work....:biggrin:

I say leave it alone. The idea of replacing the tires & wheels is a good idea to preserve what you have.

If you want a little more power.... You will most likely need to replace the fuel pump for a higher output model, run a "Hotwire" kit like Racetronix offers, pick up a Turbo Tweek chip & a Bosch 237 fuel pressure regulator. You should also pick up a 160 degree thermostat. When ordering the chip make sure you know the quality of pump gas in your area & order accordingly. Seems like most guys on this board have a chip burned for 93 octane. I have never seen anything higher than 91 & 92 octane in this area & provided this info to the chip maker. My car still pings a bit.

Make sure you perform the "Spring Cleaning" procedures & flush out your PowerMaster brake system with new brake fluid to keep it happy.

Sounds like you have a real beauty of a car. Please post up a pic or two if you can.

~JM~

PS. Here are a few good links to read.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/255177-new-owners-writeup-jm.html#post1907520
Brake System

What part is not a bolt on???? You can swap engines, swap transmissions, upgrade turbo, upgrade brakes..... All of those bolt on. Just about anything you do to the car can be undone except things like cage and tubing rear wheel wells. As long as you save the original parts it can be returned to stock.

Mint car mods that are reversible...here is what I would do...
1. Remove the wheels and tires and buy some nice aluminum wheels and tires with the rear being drag radials.
2. Buy a Scanmaster and do the Turbo Buick Spring Cleaning.
3. Use that zinc additive and Brad Penn Oil or something of that sort.
4. Replace the valve springs with the Comp LT1 springs.
5. Remove the stock MAF and air inlet assembly. Install a newer setup like you see all over this board. K&N, LT1 sensor Translator....
6. Turbo Tweak Chip and 60lb or 79lb injector combo. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, new pump, and hotwire kit.
7. Pypes exhaust, and RJC 3inch downpipe and test pipe or dump.

More later...gotta go do some work....:biggrin:

8. 160* degree thermostat with billet neck.
9. RJC Power Plate
10. 6262 turbo
11. Nice 3000 stall lock up converter.

Put all of your old parts away. No cutting and you can return it back to stock if needed. Doubt you will though cause it will be an 11 second car if the transmission doesn't die first.:)

What fun is a bone stock gn ? Throw some parts on it and go have fun. It's already spent all of its life in someone's garage time to let her streach her legs and get some fresh air, after I bought my car I just couldn't understand how someone could own a car this awesome and not put a ton of miles on it. You won't regret upgrading it