Blue smoke upon start-up...

veedubcrazy

I know its been a while since I posted last but I have been busy with work, resurrecting a '67 VW while working on the '87 T-Type. What I am getting is blue smoke upon startup and it *seems* to go away when the engine is up to op temp. The T-Type has 64xxx miles showing on the odometer and I do beleive thats its original. Is this common for this to happen? Are the valve guides and/or piston rings starting to wear? Or is it that the turbo is having a bit of seepage? I don't drive it as its not ready yet but I do drive it when I can to keep the fluids going...

Thanx in advance...

I'd suspect valve seals. You don't see blue smoke when you are in boost, do you? It wouldn't hurt to do a leakdown test.

Well, it *seems* to go away once its all warmed up. Valve seals, would that be the umbrella seals that go on the valve stems?

Felpro part # is SS72623. There are only seals on the intake valves on our cars. Look up that part no and you'll see a picture. Do a leakdown test if you can to determine the health of your rings. On the upside, if it does end up being the seals, you can upgrade your valve springs (to something like Comp 980's) at the same time and be done with it.

Thanx for the quick reply...And I can do a leak-down test although really it would be just a compression test. Thats the tool I have... Not real fancy...